• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who here supports FAA drug policy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I will be happy to piss in a cup when they require those drawing any form of social assistance to do the same. No Whiz Quiz, No Money

Where is the conservative rhetoric on personal responsibility on this issue?
There are millions of people who can do certain types of drugs and be very productive and normal- alcohol is a drug-
some things just shouldn't be regulated- the enforcement money can be better spent addressing the problem in other ways.
I will disagree that some illegal drugs do cause harm to people other than those who use them. I did get stabbed in the forearm with a plastic fork bc the person tripping thought he had to kill a deadly spider on me--- super glad all he had was a plastic fork

Where is the conservative rhetoric on personal responsibility on this issue?
There are millions of people who can do certain types of drugs and be very productive and normal- alcohol is a drug-
some things just shouldn't be regulated- the enforcement money can be better spent addressing the problem in other ways.
I will disagree that some illegal drugs do cause harm to people other than those who use them. I did get stabbed in the forearm with a plastic fork bc the person tripping thought he had to kill a deadly spider on me--- super glad all he had was a plastic fork

It would seem conservatism would be for putting drug use on the private side and let them regulate it and liberalism would outlaw it...big brother knows best. Another irony in today's world.

Drugs hijack your brain. Don't do them (with the expection of pot). They accelerate the weathering of your body and mind, burning out your delicate internal circuitry. Particular drugs do irrepariable damage to your CNS by destroying the myelin sheathing which functions to insulate your neurons.

Most addicts abuse drugs as a shortcut to happiness. An internal need (for various reasons; social to genetic) for immediate gratification. Normally, one achieves pleasureable feelings or elation following a positive event, most often associated with a sense of accomplishment through skill, ability or perserverance. Our bodies selectively secrete and transmit signals which foster these feelings via a reward system. Do something well and our body rewards us with a nice feeling inside.

The reason they loosely label it "dope," stems from the effects of the neurotransmitter, dopamine. In particular, it faciliates the functioning of the "pleasure center" of the brain and its intrinsic reward system. Essentially, those who become frustrated with life or lack the ability to persevere, succeed or cope, often turn to drugs as a way to provide these hard-earned euphoric feelings humans covet.

Sometimes, an individual is hard-wired with neurotransmitter deficiences. These individuals will often have life-long substance problems compared to individuals whose system is more in equalibrium. The latter falls into a more casual user who lacks the proclivity to harbor a spiraling addiction. They often use drugs to escape reality for a moment for social reasons and rarely get addicted. Their chemistry differs from the indivudal who has a more organic need to immediately produce naturally occuring and pleasurable feelings.

Thx doc- so it's illegal bc some have a chemical tendency toward addiction?
Not disagreeing- alcohol is the only drug I've used- just think much of it could be legalized and save us all a lot of money and pain- we exaserbate the problem and the 'tough on crime' jail lobby has gotten way too much power- especially in California-

Beyond the general societal debate the specifics of the FAA requiring the test or making you guilty is the issue I am concerned with.

The military asks if you have ever done drugs. If you answer yes you are ineligible to serve. If there is probable cause you are tested. But if you answer no, don't show signs, and keep it a total secret it is your problem alone.

Lets keep our business our business unless it becomes apparent or a problem. Not you are all guilty and all must submit.

Caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol are just as much addictive drugs as their illegal counterparts...not to mention medically-prescribed drugs that are addictive and so often abused.

I've never tried it, but considering cigarettes and alcohol are legal vices with a long trail of bodies behind them count me in the "legalize pot and tax it" group.

Latest resources

Back