• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who has switched airlines?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know what you mean, flyinhigh, I'm right there with you. I'm from Texas originally and would love to get back there with XJT but I'm hoping that things get better here at ASA (that and I REALLY don't want to go back through training, 1st year pay, probation, reserve, ect...). I just hope I don't look back sometime down the road and wish I had made the jump sooner.

I know a clown on his 4th regional. Chasing the upgrade much like tail, his own tail that is.

Left TSA in the mass exodus (June-August '06) for SkyWest and am amazed at the difference in every way. Definitely a good move.

I left XJ after 6+. I couldn't take being an FO in a prop again for less money than I made in 2001. Heck, it only took nearly 6 years to be the junior Saab CA.

Went to a fractional, have way more days off, fly only around 400 hours a year, took home as much in my first year as I did as a 6 year XJ CA (pathetic), have a 401k that grows 3x's faster, blah blah blah.

Too bad it took me so long to wake up. Being a regional pilot is no way to go through life.

I'm on my third regional. I fell into the trap of chasing the upgrade. Movement at the first regional trickled to a snails pace so I decided to make the jump to a regional that had just over a yr upgrade. I stayed there right at a yr and if things stayed the same I was at least another 11-12 months away from upgrading. I decided to go to a if this is posibble a "quality" regional that fly's jets and has a very nice contract in place and just wait it out. I plan to move into one of the bases within the next yr or 2 because I have always been a commuter and really can't stand it.

Bottom line that I have learned from my own mistakes is dont chase the upgrade. If I had stayed at the 1st regional I was at I would have upgraded or I would be very close. Always be prepared to commute unless like E120FO said you live in the base that is your carriers bread and butter.

Left Eagle after 6 years for SkyWest. 2 Years and 900 pilots below me now!! Best thing I did. 1.8 year upgrade at SkyWest!!

Amen! Even if they are wearing that nasty burnt orange...

First of all I can't believe anyone would notice what color her shorts are! That is definately a trained eye.

Secondly, on my 3rd regional. Quality of life has gotten better at each move but the upgrade time has gotten exponentially longer. Went from Mesa to Skywest to Horizon. Get alot of, "how could you leave Skywest?" I grew up 10 mins. away from my base here in PNW. Not much of a choice. Obviously in my opinion, upgrade isn't everything.

I am a Mesaba Forlough and I am over at Championair. It is fun being on the B727 but I have learned that no matter what airline you are with, its about quality of life (days off) and paying ALL your bills on a consistant basis. If you are a relatively new F.O. at ANY reginal today, life is going to be tough. Champion is a good company, but I am thinking about going back to Mesaba because of the new opportunity for growth with the award of the 36 crj900's .(and maybe more in the future)

To rap it up, I am going where I can make a Captain position in the least amount of time. There is always good and bad anywhere you go. Right now many people are making latteral movements, but as the years go by in this ever-changing industry who knows what opportunities might await that we just can't see right now.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back