Who does most the flying?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lead Sled said:
Liars all!!! Who does the most flying? The autopilot.

'Sled

Aye. Let "ole" George do it. Almost all of my time (charter and corporate) was single pilot, and man I loved it when insurance or whatever required a guy in the right seat of the old KingAir. He did everything.

www.bdkingpress.com

In my company it's the captain who gets the most PF sectors (and as such landings). It's the nature of longhaul flying that there are more than two pilots and since airlines are not totally stupid these extra pilots tend to be of the F/O variety (cheaper labour).

The captain gets a landing on every trip, the other sector being taken by the F/O who wins the coin toss.

Nobody said life was fair.

Change at the outstations. That way, the FO isn't always landing at the hubs.

TonyC said:
In my airplane, we have a spelling contest. Whoever can correctly spell the title of the guy in the left seat gets the leg. :)
Since the hiring standards are pretty rigid over at Smitty's flying club, are we to assume the captain doesn't get any leg?

Change at the outstations. That way, the FO isn't always landing at the hubs.
I agree. That's the best way to do it so the same person isn't stuck always landing at the hub. But mostly, from what I've seen, you simply alternate legs unless you're going into a special airport or something. That way, both pilots gets their fair share of legs.

I've been told that alot of business jet operators only let the captain fly unless the plane is empty. What's up with that? Sometimes new FO's never fully gain confidence until they fly regular revenue legs.

Last edited:
Most of my flying is single-pilot, so I do most of the flying (well, George does). On trips where we have two pilots, we each fly half the day out of left seat.

FN FAL said:
Since the hiring standards are pretty rigid over at Smitty's flying club, are we to assume the captain doesn't get any leg?
Since the Captain proctors the test, he gets as many legs as he deserves. :)

I have the F/O fly to the outstations:

1. The hubs are easier!
2. I can play "quarterback" and monitor what's going on.
3. All I ever did as an F/O was land at the hubs....
4. F/O's seem to appreciate it; and happy F/O's tend to look out for the Old Man a little better.
5. Getting the smaller paycheck AND the least-interesting flying doesn't seem fair to me.

We change at the outstations, for the reason stated above. But I've had a few cool captains that let me fly if I have never been to a particular airport.

Latest resources

Back