• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

who can tell me some info on airmanflightschool

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I did both my CFI/II training with Airman quite some time ago and it is the best set-up and program that is out there in my opinion that will get you done the fastest. I looked into the different schools (AF, ATP, FSI, etc) and the Airman route was the best out of any of them in my opinion. Be prepared to study, put in the time, and get as far ahead as you can. They will not hold your hand nor will they spoon feed you the information. You will be responsible to come to class prepared which in reality means putting in a lot of self study time in on your own. Even though it has been awhile since I attended the school not much at all has changed, I still keep in contact with recent grads of the program and most have been pleased to the utmost.

Before one poster chimes in I suggest the following> If they get any indication that you are "flexible" and that you are not binded for time then you may not get the I/II course done as quickly as others. Make it known to them that you are binded for time and get on them and they will get you in and out of there quickly, money in the bank. I didn't have any problem nor did anyone else in my class... Stay on the ball, pester them, etc, do whatever it takes not to have to stay out there longer than you have to and all will be fine. Sometimes unfortunately you have to be a pain in the @ss and in reality you are the "customer".

As far as the writtens are concerned, some folks did have them done (FOI/CFI/II) but others didn't. I waited until I had gotten there due to the simple fact that all writtens were included in the price of the course so my thought process was "why" waste the additional money at $60-$80 bucks a written considering you need to take the FOI,CFI,CFII writtens. Just study for them so you can take them asap once you arrive in Norman. This is somewhat of a "firehose" training course so you don't want to wait until you get there to begin studying them, you will have plenty of other things to study. If you decide to go there then good luck to you, best I/II course out there in my opinion.

Some things have changed but those changes have been very minor from those who I have spoken with. I can only think of one guy who I recommended to go that wasn't overly pleased, all others got what was promised and if I had to do it all again I would have done exactly the same thing. He only went in there with a private so your situation should be drastically different.
pm me for any details or additional questions that you may have and also do a board seach on "AIRMAN FLIGHT SCHOOL", I have posted much on the subject over the past few years.

I attended for the "upgrade" course (Instrument - CFII). Looking back, I would have gone to ATPs probably. In the long run (and it was a long run) it would have cost less and I would have gotten 190 ME PIC...and an MEI (something I didn't get at AFS).

What I would recommend...go out and visit a few students (not staff) before you make your decision. I know more than a few people that had the same experience I had that would be more than happy to let you know what life is like out there.

Yes, their program says "6 months"...that's not reality. Had it not been for a "different" situation, I would have been there 8 or 9 instead of 7. I do know there are quite a few changes going on out there. I also know their Duchess (twin) was/is(?) down for about 3-4 weeks for mx. That's the second time in the past 4 or so months its been down that long. Also, they've been having mx problems with the RGs (makes commercial and CFI training go very slow).

Would I recommend it? No. I'd look into ATPs where at least you can get some ME time and if you go the "90 day" course it will be the same price if not cheaper in the long run.

If you have any questions, drop me a PM and I'll be more than happy to fill you in on what's going out there since I stay in close contact with a few of the current students as well as students that attended with myself.

-mini

thank you both very much for your responses.:) :) great help this site is. thanks once again.

comander said:
check the webpage and tell me your coments about this school, I think I might go there,the price seems more or less fair what do u ppl think? http://www.airmanflightschool.com/

comander,

I just finished my PPL at Airman and have "taken the plunge," as it were, for their upgrade course. I start my Instrument in about two weeks. 350 and minitour both make very good points. The only thing you'll get spoonfed to you here is sugarcoated promises about your completion time. As for the mx issues, I don't know as much, but I do remember the Duchess being down for something like 2 weeks around the end of June. I had a very devoted CFI who got me through me through my Private in 2 months flat, but come armed with a working basic knowledge and be prepared to STUDY, because the groundschool is pretty dry and any one-on-one you get from your CFI who has God-knows-how-many students will most likely go by lightning-fast. For example, I think I spend about 5 minutes with mine going over the mx books/AD's, etc, the day before my oral, which left me to research and fill in all the blanks on my own.

Other than that, I can't stress enough how important it is to talk to other students, maybe even some CFIs if you have your eyes on a future job there. And search more on this board for it, I know there's some good chunks of info out there. If you need any more help, send me a PM and I'd be happy to answer questions or show you around the place if you decide to come check it out. Good luck!

MFR

comander said:
thank you both very much for your responses.:) :) great help this site is. thanks once again.

You are more than welcome. . Do some research, I was not the least bit pleased with ATP's when I researched them. 190 hours of multi at a low total time will mean very little if anything to you, gotta love the way they market this program. If you give ATP's close to $40,000 then you may need a reality check. . I would not even contemplate this if I were you and would highly suggest that you do your research prior to giving up this kind of cash. It is not "cheaper" than Airman and a lot of what they sell off is nothing more than propaganda. . If you truly want a "fast track" to the airlines then look into the Mesa Airlines Pilot Development Program, you can't even compare the two..

http://www.atpflightschool.com/airline_training_programs/airline_career_pilot_program/index.html

Think twice before you throw away this type of money for a program like this one.

MFR, I wish you much luck on the completion of your tickets out at Airman.

350DRIVER said:
190 hours of multi at a low total time will mean very little if anything to you, gotta love the way they market this program.
Thats a valid point, BUT... that multi time never gets taken away from you, and once you get your Total Time built up, your sitting good with that 200 multi. If you want to go to any regional, or cargo outfit, you'll easily have the mins met.

Reality of training now days is that the only multi that most students get is the multi time received during their multi-initial, maybe an addon, and then there MEI. Typically 30-40 hours max.

If your a CFI, they typically don't put you into a MEI position right away. That typically goes on seniority, and it can literally be months or years before you get that privelage. Then some smaller schools have so few Multi students, that even once you are teaching as a MEI, that it could still take you months to build suitable multi time. You will have probably easily have built up your single-engine (total time) up enough to be competitive at that point if you have the 200 multi.

Just something to chew on.

And I've personally visited Airman with a student of mine (Minitour hooked us up - thanks again!) and after spending an hour or so talking to the lady and touring the facilities, the place left a lot to be desired, and I personally would not recommend it on many levels (from morale, to quality of airplane, to maintenance).

Last edited:
FWIW:
The price I was quoted at AFS for the "Upgrade course" was $23,995...not sure if its gone up since or not.

I ended up $42,000 in debt....with 3.9 hours of ME time.

I'd still recommend ATP...but thats JMHO

-mini

*edit*

I can't really say I'd recommend ATP...but I would not recommend AFS. I talked today with two of my friends who are still in the ME program and also still waiting for their CFII check rides. They haven't flown in two weeks and 8 days respectively...

...if that helps any

The two CFIs that I worked with from Airman did not know their a$$ from a hole on the ground.

If you are already a motivated learner and plan to do LOTS and LOTS of self study to fill in the gaps, then Airman is fine.

If you plan to blast through their courses and get the CFI in minimum time, you will be an ignorant and possibly incompetent pilot.

Sad. But true. Certificate mills are a blight on the profession. They should all be shut down.

Latest resources

Back