Which type rating?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

crewa2

Iv'e been out of a flying job over 3.5 yaers and am thinking of getting a type rating to get myself current again and maybe find a corporate job. Any opinions on which type would be the most useable? Thanks for any help.

One type that I wish I had is LR-JET. I have flown 20 and 30 series Lears but was never in a position to get the type. It covers most of the learjet family.

Just my thoughts..............

The lear 60 or the CE 500 type give you the most job oppertunities, lots of both out there.(the 500 type covers 7 airplanes) The down side is that there are lots of pilots out there for both also!

The type, with no time in type doesn't do you much good in the corp world. I would find someone that owns one of the two and see if you can line up some right seat time to help you get over the 50 hour hump.(for sic pay, of course) At least then you have a little time in it when you go job hunting.

Another option may be the CJ 1 type CE-525(covers the 2 now, and the 3 upon its certification this year) There are far less of the cj series out there than the 500 series but they are selling like hot cakes and since there are fewer, the ins. companies are not as anal about the time in type requirements for them. Plus the 500 series is at the end of its career so to speak. Word is that this is the last year for the 550 Bravo (replaced by the cj2)and the 560 encore is only going to be built for another year or so until the CJ3 gets rolling. At least that was the word last time through Wichita.

The CJ1 and 2 for sure. I see no reason why the 3 shouldn't also, It is a stretched 2.(about 2 feet I think) I guess the feds could nix it upon final certification, but I doubt it. All have a common cockpit, and the systems and engines are basically the same. (Honeywell, Williams.)

And yes there are a ton of 500's out there, but they are being phased out of production so it is something to consider when you are getting ready to plop down 15k for a type. Already people are having trouble practically giving away the oldest 500 and 501's. Too slow, too much fuel burn, and pricey to get RVSM'ed. Citation II's are still selling, but their prices are falling pretty fast also, for alot of the same reasons. There is no doubt that the 550's will be flying for a long time to come though.

Last edited:
KeroseneSnorter said:
The CJ1 and 2 for sure. I see no reason why the 3 shouldn't also, It is a stretched 2.(about 2 feet I think) I guess the feds could nix it upon final certification, but I doubt it. All have a common cockpit, and the systems and engines are basically the same. (Honeywell, Williams.)

They don't all have a common cockpit. There are three different cockpits and flight management systems- the CJ (Honeywell with GNS-XLS FMS), the CJ1 and CJ2 are identical (Collins Pro Line 21 with Universal FMS) and the CJ3 is yet a third type (Collins with Collins FMS). That's four airplanes you can fly with the 525 rating.

I also recommend the 525 type. If you've been out of flying for 3.5 years, it will be easier to get a job flying a Citationjet than a Lear 60. The CJ is an easy plane to fly, even single pilot. I still get calls to do contract work in the CJ, even though I'm employed elsewhere now. There is a demand if you live in the right area.

Considering that he said he was looking for a corporate job, the 737 type doesn't do him much good. His profile shows 72 and 73 time without the types and 3500 hours , so he may not have the PIC time that SWA requires.

There are a ton of furloughed guys from the majors that don't meet SWA's PIC requirements. He also said that he hasn't flown for 3.5 years so he has a big time currency problem when applying to an airline.

A corporate type is much better for him to be able to put food on the table from flying. If I had waited for a recall to my airline or to be hired by another I would have starved by now. I did have the advantage of getting hired corporate without the type and having them pay for it, but that was mainly from being in the right place at the right time with a stupid look on my face.

He sounds like he is in the spot I was a couple of years ago, furloughed, finacially unable to start over at a regional again for 18k a year, holding a couple of useless airline type ratings that does nothing for you in the corporate world. Trust me, there is nothing more useless than a 737 and a Regional type when the only ones hiring are corporate. I may be lucky enough to get the call from SWA, or UPS or whoever in the next few months but I am not pinning my families survival on that slim chance. It took a year and a half to get that job at the major the first time, and that was when all of them were hiring and I was a current flying 121 Captain.

English said:
They don't all have a common cockpit. There are three different cockpits and flight management systems- the CJ (Honeywell with GNS-XLS FMS), the CJ1 and CJ2 are identical (Collins Pro Line 21 with Universal FMS) and the CJ3 is yet a third type (Collins with Collins FMS). That's four airplanes you can fly with the 525 rating.

I was thinking that the CJ's were honeywell, At any rate it is all the same type.

I too get a good bit of contract work on the 500's but I am seeing alot more new CJ's than 550 and 560's lately. That is probably the way to go if you are paying for it.

English,

I fly the Bravo single pilot on a waiver, As I understand it you don't need the waiver for the CJ2 correct? Are there two types? (single and two up) or does one cover it all?

KeroseneSnorter said:

English,

I fly the Bravo single pilot on a waiver, As I understand it you don't need the waiver for the CJ2 correct? Are there two types? (single and two up) or does one cover it all?

There is no waiver for the CJ, CJ1, or CJ2. It is expected that there won't be one for the CJ3 either. There are two different type ratings - the CE525s (which allows you to fly single pilot or crew) and the CE525 (crew only). It's a good deal because there are no currency issues if you fly part 91. You could fly the CJ single pilot for the next twenty years (part 91) and do biennial flight reviews in a 152, and nothing more, and be legal. Not safe, but legal.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back