• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Which Type Rating

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I wonder if either BA or AF still have a working Concorde sim. I mean, if you're going to get a useless type, might as well make it a really cool one.

A 747-400 type rating is worthless for job searching without at least 500 hours in type until the freight haulers start hiring again here in the US which may be awhile. Overseas there is quite a bit of 400 hiring but not without time in type and currency flying the line for someone.

I would use that money to advance your education in something other than aviation, instead of wasting it on another type rating.

Go get an electricians, HVAC or plumbers license at your local community college.

I'm thinking of doing this my self.

My two cents...

Use the money to go to school for a health care job. Even in this economy, my office phone rings 5 or 6 times a week with recruiters leaving messages for my wife, making offers of $50,000+ plus signing bonuses for a one year contract at $80K a year, without an interview! (that's $130K offer, with 50 up front...to start... before negotiations)

She works as a self employed contractor now, pretty much names her price, and the constant fight is that everyone needs her to work more.

I'm thinking for the same money as a 747 Type you could be a P.T., or R.N.

If you decide to stay in aviation, look at the manufacturer's order books. The 737 (I think) has been the most popular jet ever produced. Obviously there are going to be more 737 jobs than anything else.

I'm hearing rumors at Delta the 747's high operational cost make it likely to be replaced with the 777 and newer designs that can offer lower trip cost and better network flow (easier to fill and can offer greater frequencies).

Latest resources

Back