• NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.
  • Logbook Pro for Apple iOS version 8.1 is now available on the App Store. Major update including signature endorsements and dark/light theme support. Click here to install now.

Which Type Rating

pumpkinhead

Total Time
I may have an opportunity to pay for a type rating, I am partial to the B747-400 but that’s just an aircraft I always wanted to fly. I wanted some feedback on what aircraft is in the most demand, (what might secure me a job), both wide body and narrow body. This would most likely be for a foreign operation. Also if not too much trouble, recommended school for such aircraft training.
Thank You.

Last edited:

Mooseflyer

Total Time
An "opportunity" to pay for your own type rating. Congrats! I'd go for the -400 as well - nothing says "waste my money" like 800 bucks an hour for sitting in a movable cage. If your profile is correct, maybe you should check with your wife before you blow next months mortgage payment.

Paul R. Smith

Fender Bender
Total Time
4:30
An "opportunity" to pay for your own type rating. Congrats! I'd go for the -400 as well - nothing says "waste my money" like 800 bucks an hour for sitting in a movable cage. If your profile is correct, maybe you should check with your wife before you blow next months mortgage payment.

Yeah opportunity is not the word I would use either. Sounds like money burning a hole in your pocket with too much time on your hands. You can send the money to me and I will invest if for you, but you can never contact me ever again. I will let you know if you make money or not.

Mike man

Funk Master Flex
Total Time
5000+
We all have the opportunity to buy a type rating...I think a B707 would be fun.

Mr.B

Total Time
15kish
I may have an opportunity to pay for a type rating, I am partial to the B747-400 but that’s just an aircraft I always wanted to fly. I wanted some feedback on what aircraft is in the most demand, (what might secure me a job), both wide body and narrow body. This would most likely be for a foreign operation. Also if not too much trouble, recommended school for such aircraft training.
Thank You.

To get hired at a foriegn carrier you'll need the type with PIC of at least 500 hours. (I saw one Chinese carrier wanting 300....A320 job). Of course this is a minimmum.

A buddy just got laid off from Jalways and he has loads of 747 rope start and DC10 PIC time. Theres not much out there for him. Airbus and 747-400 guys WITH PIC time is whats in demand.

You would be wasting your money. Sorry.

pumpkinhead

Total Time
Mr. B and Whine Lover, thanks for the input, brutal but I think you are correct, Type + 0 Time = No Job. I’m keeping that in mind as I mull this over. Only have so much money left from a liquidated 401K after penalties and taxes. 4 airlines, 4 bankruptcies, unemployment is very stressful. I guess I should hang on to the money in this job market.

Falconjet

Total Time
almost
You should get an FE rating instead. FedEx and UPS will be hiring in about, oh I don't know, 5 years.

Good luck.

FJ

Total Time
Thank You.

If you mean the Government (or someone besides yourself) would pay for it, try for a newer business jet like Falcon 7X for G550 or the like.

CE

Sailpilot

Total Time
10:32a
Mr. B and Whine Lover, thanks for the input, brutal but I think you are correct, Type + 0 Time = No Job. I’m keeping that in mind as I mull this over. Only have so much money left from a liquidated 401K after penalties and taxes. 4 airlines, 4 bankruptcies, unemployment is very stressful. I guess I should hang on to the money in this job market.

Go to business school and become a C*O! F@ck everything up and leave with your bonus!

flyboyike

Urban Legend/Rural Myth
Total Time
I wonder if either BA or AF still have a working Concorde sim. I mean, if you're going to get a useless type, might as well make it a really cool one.

spitfire1500

Total Time
Enough
A 747-400 type rating is worthless for job searching without at least 500 hours in type until the freight haulers start hiring again here in the US which may be awhile. Overseas there is quite a bit of 400 hiring but not without time in type and currency flying the line for someone.

regionalcap

Total Time
I would use that money to advance your education in something other than aviation, instead of wasting it on another type rating.

HoursHore

Medieval Warrior
Total Time
4000+
Go get an electricians, HVAC or plumbers license at your local community college.

I'm thinking of doing this my self.

clippyrip

Total Time
Go get an electricians, HVAC or plumbers license at your local community college.

I'm thinking of doing this my self.

Funny you should say that...if I get furloughed I'm headed to the local electricians union and getting a job. Truth.

~~~^~~~

Total Time
7,500+
My two cents...

Use the money to go to school for a health care job. Even in this economy, my office phone rings 5 or 6 times a week with recruiters leaving messages for my wife, making offers of $50,000+ plus signing bonuses for a one year contract at $80K a year, without an interview! (that's $130K offer, with 50 up front...to start... before negotiations)

She works as a self employed contractor now, pretty much names her price, and the constant fight is that everyone needs her to work more.

I'm thinking for the same money as a 747 Type you could be a P.T., or R.N.

If you decide to stay in aviation, look at the manufacturer's order books. The 737 (I think) has been the most popular jet ever produced. Obviously there are going to be more 737 jobs than anything else.

I'm hearing rumors at Delta the 747's high operational cost make it likely to be replaced with the 777 and newer designs that can offer lower trip cost and better network flow (easier to fill and can offer greater frequencies).