Which Type Rating

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pumpkinhead

I may have an opportunity to pay for a type rating, I am partial to the B747-400 but that’s just an aircraft I always wanted to fly. I wanted some feedback on what aircraft is in the most demand, (what might secure me a job), both wide body and narrow body. This would most likely be for a foreign operation. Also if not too much trouble, recommended school for such aircraft training.
Thank You.

Last edited:
An "opportunity" to pay for your own type rating. Congrats! I'd go for the -400 as well - nothing says "waste my money" like 800 bucks an hour for sitting in a movable cage. If your profile is correct, maybe you should check with your wife before you blow next months mortgage payment.

An "opportunity" to pay for your own type rating. Congrats! I'd go for the -400 as well - nothing says "waste my money" like 800 bucks an hour for sitting in a movable cage. If your profile is correct, maybe you should check with your wife before you blow next months mortgage payment.

Yeah opportunity is not the word I would use either. Sounds like money burning a hole in your pocket with too much time on your hands. You can send the money to me and I will invest if for you, but you can never contact me ever again. I will let you know if you make money or not.

I may have an opportunity to pay for a type rating, I am partial to the B747-400 but that’s just an aircraft I always wanted to fly. I wanted some feedback on what aircraft is in the most demand, (what might secure me a job), both wide body and narrow body. This would most likely be for a foreign operation. Also if not too much trouble, recommended school for such aircraft training.
Thank You.

To get hired at a foriegn carrier you'll need the type with PIC of at least 500 hours. (I saw one Chinese carrier wanting 300....A320 job). Of course this is a minimmum.

A buddy just got laid off from Jalways and he has loads of 747 rope start and DC10 PIC time. Theres not much out there for him. Airbus and 747-400 guys WITH PIC time is whats in demand.

You would be wasting your money. Sorry.

Mr. B and Whine Lover, thanks for the input, brutal but I think you are correct, Type + 0 Time = No Job. I’m keeping that in mind as I mull this over. Only have so much money left from a liquidated 401K after penalties and taxes. 4 airlines, 4 bankruptcies, unemployment is very stressful. I guess I should hang on to the money in this job market.

You should get an FE rating instead. FedEx and UPS will be hiring in about, oh I don't know, 5 years.

Good luck.

FJ

Thank You.

If you mean the Government (or someone besides yourself) would pay for it, try for a newer business jet like Falcon 7X for G550 or the like.

CE

Mr. B and Whine Lover, thanks for the input, brutal but I think you are correct, Type + 0 Time = No Job. I’m keeping that in mind as I mull this over. Only have so much money left from a liquidated 401K after penalties and taxes. 4 airlines, 4 bankruptcies, unemployment is very stressful. I guess I should hang on to the money in this job market.

Go to business school and become a C*O! F@ck everything up and leave with your bonus!

Latest resources

Back