• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Averatec 3250 is an excellent choice

AMD 1.7ghz, 512mb, 60-80 gig hd, dvd burner, wireless, 12" screen
1" thick and only 4 lbs

Had mine 4 mos now and no problems whatsoever

Just saw the ad for Circuit City $750 with rebates while supplies last

Got mine at Sam's Club due to the fact that they will take back ANYTHING regardless of how long ago you purchase it, 100% satisfaction policy

FWIW

ILStoMinimums said:
The 700M is $999 before you add any upgrades to it. Looks like it will be around $1600 or so including the Home package, Virus Scan, (maybe a 80GB), and the warranty.
Does that price sound about right?

Was that 700M for $1100 deal w/out any upgrades?

www.dell.com

700m
512 RAM
60 G HDD
CD R/W +DVD
1yr warranty
2 day shipping

$1049

That's exactly the configuration I got... I think the same price as well. Overall an outstanding bargain...

ILStoMinimums said:
The 700M is $999 before you add any upgrades to it. Looks like it will be around $1600 or so including the Home package, Virus Scan, (maybe a 80GB), and the warranty.
Does that price sound about right?

Was that 700M for $1100 deal w/out any upgrades?

If you use the coupon I linked to you can get a 1.6ghz, 60GB, 512mb, XP home, and the Dell A,B,G wireless for $903. It expires early on the 15th though. Even if you miss it Dell releases different coupons on a daily basis...

ATLplt said:
If you use the coupon I linked to you can get a 1.6ghz, 60GB, 512mb, XP home, and the Dell A,B,G wireless for $903. It expires early on the 15th though. Even if you miss it Dell releases different coupons on a daily basis...

I probably should add a warranty when I purchase this.....

IBM will always been synonymous with quality hardware. You will see a lot of them being used when you commute. Companies have come around and realized they are cheaper in the long run. I bought a refurb T21 (they are plentiful) with additional warrantee. I have S-Video out with DVD play capability. I can play older games. FS 2000 works just fine for example. It has a basic graphics accelerator.

That said, wouldn't kick Toshiba, Sony and Alienware out of bed though. I just think with something handled so much I wanted to go conservative. I am very happy with it. I doubt I will ever get anything else either, except possibly an Alien for extreme speed.

Space Cowboy said:
IBM will always been synonymous with quality hardware. You will see a lot of them being used when you commute. Companies have come around and realized they are cheaper in the long run. I bought a refurb T21 (they are plentiful) with additional warrantee. I have S-Video out with DVD play capability. I can play older games. FS 2000 works just fine for example. It has a basic graphics accelerator.

That said, wouldn't kick Toshiba, Sony and Alienware out of bed though. I just think with something handled so much I wanted to go conservative. I am very happy with it. I doubt I will ever get anything else either, except possibly an Alien for extreme speed.

I was about to pull the trigger and buy an IBM. Then they announced the sale of their notebook division to another company. Although it will still carry the IBM name, I'm not convinced of future IBM quality and support.

apdsm said:
I was about to pull the trigger and buy an IBM. Then they announced the sale of their notebook division to another company. Although it will still carry the IBM name, I'm not convinced of future IBM quality and support.

I believe this has yet to take place. If you want an ultra lightweight good performing machine look at the X40 series. Only 2.7 lbs! DVD player is external but I simply don't watch many movies on the road so I can live with an external unit. I currently own an Averatec. The performance of the machine really sucks. It is incredibly slow. Fine for checking email and surfing the web but if you want to do any kind of multi-tasking it is a real pig. However, the under $900 price tag was attractive and that is why I bought it. So just don't expect to load any games or other high demanding applications on an Averatec model.

My next purchase with be the X40 or whatever the latest model is. Weight is everything in my book. The X40 is so **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** slim you can put it in your flight bag.

If you only want to check email I would consider a Treo 650 or Blackberry device.

Latest resources

Back