• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Which laptop do you recommend?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sony VGN-S150. A little pricey, but I got mine on sale for <$2k. Good balance between portability, screen size, and weight. The screen is spectacular. Sweptback is really good with computers and helped me pick this one out, so I'd follow his suggestions.

Get the most indestructable you can find! The TSA is brutal, as are van drivers, other pilots and just about anyone in your vicinity.

DC8 Flyer said:

From what I have heard, Emachines = Junk.

I shy away from buying any product that is offered as "refurbished", when it's more than just one unit. You have to worry about a model that failed in such numbers that the factory now has an inventory of repaired units. In the case of a design flaw, these laptops are just about guaranteed to fail again...

You can get great deals from places like Tiger_Direct that offer single open-box specials from customers who changed their minds. The inventory changes day to day, so you have to keep checking, but you can get a heck of a deal on a nearly new laptop that still has the full factory warranty.

ATLplt said:
Dell 700M has worked well for me so far.

Add another entusiastic vote for the Dell 700m. The build quality seems much more robust that my previous, larger Dell, that creaked, bent, and rattled. This thing is rock solid even after ridng around in a suitcase frequently. It is truly a mobile machine, small and light enough that you don't agonize over whether you want to lug it - just take it. That 15 inch screen on the bigger machines will result in a beast that barely fits in a rollaboard. If you want the larger screen and more power at home, then get shell out another $400 and get a desktop with all the bells and whistles. After the novelty wears off, a desktop replacement will be just that, a desktop replacement, since that is where it will sit when you leave on a trip - 'cause hauling a 9 pound notebook and a 2 pound power supply that consumes nearly a cubic foot of suitcase space quickly loses its appeal.

Hi!

Lowecur-Funny! That's my favorite kind of laptop.

My wife told me if you are looking for a wife (or a hot girlfriend) just JS to Warsaw (or Krakow) and hang out there in the spring/summertime. She said there are TONS of young/hot Polish girls there.

Now if you can find some way to prevent them from turning into Polish fishwives...

Cliff
YIP

PS-My wife told me about a European survey that said Polish wives were the toughest to handle...she claims this show it's not her fault and that it's genetic. I'm not buying it!

As for the extended warranties, there's different kinds. Steer clear of the retail store warranties (Best Buy, etc), as the way they're written it's almost impossible to get your laptop fixed right (they exclude about anything that can possibly break). Plus, every time you need it fixed you send it away for a week or two. Not cool if it's your only computer.

That has not been my experience. I purchased my laptop at Circuit City in 2001 with the extended warranty. The warranty company is GE Warranty and they have been stellar. I have to ship it to them, but they send me the box and turn around is 3 to 4 days. Although I will never buy another Compaq, I'm very happy with GE Warranty.

Nostromo said:
Wait a second! Use your Amex and get double the manufacturer's warranty and check with your home owner's policy. I pay $50 a year to cover my laptop on my home owner's, I also purchased it with an amex. I had a motherboard go bad about 2 months after the warranty expired. Amex stepped right up and paid for the replacement. If that had failed or if the laptop was stolen, home owner's steps in from there. Don't pay $400-500 extra for the warranty when a combo of credit card and homeowners will do the same for a fraction of the price.

I like the AMEX idea! Are you sure the homeowner's policy covers repairs? I think most only cover it if it's stolen. And even at that, some require the deductible to be met first.

ILStoMinimums said:
I'd be using it mostly on the road and at home. Thoughts/Advice................?
Good idea. I used mine only inside and outside.

Seriously though, DO NOT get anything with an AMD processor. You'll save some dough, but those things are awful. I watched 2 die a slow death to the tune of 2500 bucks (entire system cost). Buck up for the P4. It's worth it. The Celeron ain't so hot either.

FL000 said:
Good idea. I used mine only inside and outside.

Seriously though, DO NOT get anything with an AMD processor. You'll save some dough, but those things are awful. I watched 2 die a slow death to the tune of 2500 bucks (entire system cost). Buck up for the P4. It's worth it. The Celeron ain't so hot either.

There's nothing wrong with an AMD processor. However, since they are usually used in lower-end computers, the build quality of the rest of the computer may suffer a little.

On a laptop, the Intel Centrino chipset is top-notch for battery savings, but only if you steer clear of the P4. That thing drains battery like no tomorrow, and it's actually being phased out of the notebook lines.

The 700M is $999 before you add any upgrades to it. Looks like it will be around $1600 or so including the Home package, Virus Scan, (maybe a 80GB), and the warranty.
Does that price sound about right?

Was that 700M for $1100 deal w/out any upgrades?

Latest resources

Back