• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Which laptop do you recommend?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I didn't read all the posts, so I don't know if it has been said or not but go with the Dell 700m. I just got it last week, it is by far the best. It fits in my flight bag.

Well looks like some guys haven't had very pleasurable experiences with Dell laptops? My buddy uses the 700M along with a bunch of other guys here. Has anybody had any problems with it? If anybody comes across one of those $750 deals, be sure to post it!!

Good stuff, keep it coming.............

Get the 700m from Dell. I got one a few weeks ago and love it. The screen size is perfect and it's really light weight with great processing speed.

I am not sure about the issue of being assembled outside the U.S., to my knowledge it's assembled in Nashville, TN. Obviously the parts are from everywhere, but I can tell you for fact that every laptop is essentially the same parts... I got mine (1.6 Ghz, 60 Gig HD, DVD-CDRW Combo, 512 RAM) for 1,100 including shipping... I doubt you'll find one much under that. This price was when they were running a $300 off + free shipping deal..

I will echoe the words about not getting the 15 inch screen. DO NOT DO IT!!! My first laptop was a 15 inch and I sold it on Ebay to get the Dell 700m. The size/weight defeats the purpose of a laptop.

Last edited:
Buddy of mine has a Dell 700m, he likes it, I go for the customs, I would say get the Dell or browse over to :

http://www.pro-star.com/

http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.html

I got a Prostar, best bang for the buck I could find, uses a Desktop CPU so the battery life isn't that long and the unit is fairly heavy but for the $1700 I paid the performance is unmatched:

15 In SXGA display, 3.4 GHz Intel P4 CPU on a 1066 BUs, 1 gig of DDR 400 ram, 60 gig 7200 rpm hardrive, ATI 8xagp radeon 9700 128 meg video, wireless, bluetooth, DVD CDRW, 5.1 surround sound.

I like it, also do a search on here, there was a Thread about a month ago with many recommendations and links.

I have a Dell 600M that i really like. Its small enough that it fits in my flight case and only weighs 6 pounds give or take. I bought it from the Dell refurb site and it comes with the same warranty as a new one but cost about 300 less. Whatever you buy make sure that you get an extended warranty for it. They will usually pay for themselves in the long run. I have only had to send my Dell back once so far but they had it back to me in two business days. Other than the fact that no one in their tech support department speaks very good english (they are based in india) i've been overall very happy with Dell.

FWIW: I have a Toshiba M35X-S161 that I got for $599 after rebates from Circuit City. Also got a free wirelss router and photo printer. 15.4 inch screen, 60 gig, 512 RAM, DVD-CDRW, 1.3 GHz, Intel celeron. The wireless is great. It is larger but I tote it all over the place and don't have any problems with the weight (6-7lbs i think). It gets used at home and on the road. Battery life isn't spectacular, but I knew that going in (1.5 hrs) so most places I just find a wall plug and go. Screen is a great size for DVD viewing and long periods of staring at. I went with this b/c of the budget I had. I'm not dissapointed. Good luck with your search, there are a ton of options out there and chances are, many will work well for you. I sacrificed some weight to get the cheaper price.

I got the Dell 600m a couple months ago and am happy. It's light and thin, but the screen is larger than the 700m. I'm sure you'd be happy with either model. Mine was $1500 with the US Air employee discount. 40 GB, 1.6 Pentium, centrino, DVD/CD-RW, XP Pro, 3 yr. warranty, and 3 yr. accidental damage protection (that was about $120 but worth it).

I had a russian gal on top of my lap at a club in Hamilton, Ontario. So I would say probably anything Eastern European.:)

Latest resources

Back