• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Which is better to get to a major?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How long is it to upgrade at SKW? If it's two years, you could have your 1000 hours PIC in the Citation.

In the last hiring boom, airlines looked at candidates by the sector they came from. They didn't compare a regional captain to a corporate captain because the jobs were different. Same with military.

Plus, with all the hype about working in corporate being better than the airlines, there will be plenty of applicants from the corporate side to break the ice with the airlines.

AND, it won't take long for the HR departments to figure out they'd rather hire a motivated "can-do" corporate pilot than a burnt out 'twenty-something' with 6000 hours of flying from PHL-ERI five times a day.

The Legacy HR depts. are used to hiring people from varied backgrounds. TC

121 for sure! Some comapnies are a bit shy about 91 stuff. The upgrade at Skywest is pretty short all things considered.

If you are doing 135 flying now definately take the Skywest job. I have done 135, corporate and 121 flying for almost 40 years and moved up in the same order from Citations, LJ, Jetstar and finally 767. Each move was better. People thought I was nuts leaving a PIC Jetstar job to take a 70% pay cut to be an FO on a 737 but it sure paid off in the long run.

The upgrade right now at SkyWest is 2 years, but it may not be that two years from now. I say stay for 1000-1500PIC and if nothing happens (i.e. you have no leads on jobs), then you can go get some Magical 121 time at a regional carrier.

If you are doing 135 flying now definately take the Skywest job. I have done 135, corporate and 121 flying for almost 40 years and moved up in the same order from Citations, LJ, Jetstar and finally 767. Each move was better. People thought I was nuts leaving a PIC Jetstar job to take a 70% pay cut to be an FO on a 737 but it sure paid off in the long run.

Things are different now than they were when Bubbers got hired flying a 737 part 121. If you can find a 737 job I say take it...but you won't unless you have the pic time. The only option you have if you moved right now is an RJ. Think about this: you will be in class with 15 other people with average flight times of 800TT and 100ME. I say you hold out. I am doing kind of the same thing. I have a 121 job but it is flying a 1900 turboprob. Yes...jet time and glass time is better, but PIC is best.

I can only share my recent experience with you. I interviewed a couple of months ago. There were 18 people in our group, all with varied 91/135/121 experience. They hired 4, and all were regional 121 captains. I can't tell you if this is the norm or a trend, but that's how it shook out.

Time first, Regional airline second!

I have been flying part 121 for the last seven years. I've been at two regionals, both of which have had excruciatingly slow upgrades (at least at the time I've been there).

Just because the upgrade time right now HAS BEEN AVERAGING two years is no guarantee for you (been there, done that). It took me over five years to upgrade (as the most junior captain on the seniority list)- I did it at the very first opportunity.

If I were you, I'd go fly the corporate jet and get the magic PIC time. Two years from now, you can always go to Skywest and fill out the "Part 121 box" on the resume. You will still be ahead of anyone that went to Skywest and started right now, when it comes time to getting on with a major.

My phone is just now starting to ring (two times) with inquiries from majors now that I have the magic 1000 PIC.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Get the Turbine PIC and type in the Citation. Fly it for a few years to get left seat time, jet time, and a type. Once your PIC minimums are met (1000-1300), go to the regionals. There will always be regionals, they will alwaybe hiring, but who knows if and when an upgrade will come. Maby a major that has lower PIC mins will pick you up along the way. Live financially smart while you pull in you CA money so that when you go to the regionals or start at CAL ($23k/yr) you won't have to live like a college student.

Another bit of advice: Pick the job you can see yourself doing for an extended period of time. You never know whats going to happen in this world. At least, if the hiring shuts down for whatever reason, you'll be in a job you enjoy for X amount of years.

take the citation job!!

PIC JET > ALL

sure, it's not 121 time, but there are plenty of majors hiring non- 121 pilots.
Not to mention, I think it is harder to go from 121 to corporate, and having time in a citation II will make you more attractive to 91 operators in case the airlines aren't where you want to go once you get your PIC time. Get 1500 hours jet PIC, then worry about other qualifications if needed.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back