• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Which is better to get to a major?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
4 month upgrade? If that is true... and I mean really true... then you have to look at it, but I haven't heard that.:eek:

Dude...might as well throw manager @ taco bell in the equation there. Toss a coin; doesn't matter. Your generation will put the exclamation point on current/old generations debacle of this profession. Be Smart. Get out while you can. Get an MBA now and maybe you will reap the benifits when you eventually have a family or you could keep playin Xbox and cry poor when it really matters. Truth sucks.

There is absolutely no way the upgrade at SkyWest is going to be two years for anyone getting hired right now. That upgrade time is going to sky-rocket with as many pilots as they are bringing on property recently.

For what it is worth, I'd say take the Citation job, get 1000-1500 PIC, then bail for a gear-pulling job with a regional. But if you go this route, at least you guarantee yourself turbine PIC time. Although I do agree with the money issue. A CE-550 captain should be making way more money than an RJ FO.

I agree...

Take the sure thing PIC first. Save your money while you are there because you don't want to get accustom to the big bucks because if you haven't gottent the call at 1,000 you will want to go work for a regional. Aside from the 121 experience, the other consideration is the networking potential. Regional pilots all want to be major airline pilots so your opportunity to meet future major airline pilots will be at a regional. I would guess that the people that are generally drawn to corporate flying are a different breed.

If you think your phone will start ringing off the hook once you get your 1,000 PIC you are in for a big surprise when that day comes. It's all about networking.

good luck

Now it's not a lost cause, but I'd wager that 60% or so major newhires come
from regional 121 ops, and 25-30% military. Do you want to limit yourself
and fight hard for the remaining 10-15%?

good luck

This is probably true, but I would guess out of any 100 random applications at any good airline, 60 of them are airline pilots (regional, national, etc.), 25 are military pilots, and 15 are corporate/charter guys. The proportions are about right, and that would make sense why they hire that way. They hire mostly airline guys, because mostly airline guys apply.

Having done two of the three of the above jobs, I would say the 121 guys have the advantage in the interview. They know what to expect, they've been through it before, and keep up to date on the gouge. I think they all have a fairly even chance at an interview, but the 121 guys usually do better than their corporate/charter counterparts. That's the reason they don't get the jobs, not because one type of experience is better than another.

Just one man's guess....

Last edited:
FDX, SWA, and JBLU don't require Jet PIC to be Part 121 or MIL. If Airtran is your goal go Skywest. All others the Citation fits the bill. Godd Luck!!

Dude...might as well throw manager @ taco bell in the equation there. Toss a coin; doesn't matter. Your generation will put the exclamation point on current/old generations debacle of this profession. Be Smart. Get out while you can. Get an MBA now and maybe you will reap the benifits when you eventually have a family or you could keep playin Xbox and cry poor when it really matters. Truth sucks.

Holy crap sporto, the only intelligent post in this thread and everyone ignores you.

Figure out which job will be the most whored out in the next 10 years and go with the other one is my advice.

Personally, I would go with the Citation job. Wearing that officail looking hats snares alot of guys. :)

Holy crap sporto, the only intelligent post in this thread and everyone ignores you.

Figure out which job will be the most whored out in the next 10 years and go with the other one is my advice.

Personally, I would go with the Citation job. Wearing that officail looking hats snares alot of guys. :)

Didnt sound like a good answer to his question...:erm:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back