• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Which is better to get to a major?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I also think that if your citation job flies international, that may be experience UPS/FDX are looking for above those guys flying domestic all day long.

And like a guy before said, if the airlines go sour, your good 'old pic citation type will keep you working.

the citation type would be a good thing to have in my back pocket, that is for sure. if i ever get the bug to fly at the regionals, that will always be an option. I'm still just waiting to hear from my boss if he accepted my salary offer. thanks again for all the advice!

good decision i think, as long as it is fair pay...

The regional job would be easier and better QOL than a 135 citation job in my opinion, but the citation job will do more for you.

Like someone said before about Airtran, at the last job fair I attended the recruiter wasn't interested in my 135 and 91 PIC turbine time, it was all about "how much PIC 121 CA time do you have?". Also I have been applying to CAL and have had several line CA's walk my resume in, and the CP always wants to know how much PIC time I have in the RJ. I am certainly not saying regional flying is best way to go, but I do know that it is considered favorable. But more important than PIC time is who do you know?. If you know people it really doesn't matter if your time is in a Citation, RJ or Piper. At any rate, I hope you make the right decision that is best for you and your family.

took the citation gig! thanks for the replies...we'll see if it pans out in 2-3 years...probably won't in this industry but the ride will be fun and slow (-tation).

First off - let's not forget another important aspect of this career - NETWORKING! If you go to a regional, chances are that you'll develop some good working relationships with some of your fellow co-workers. When they move on, they move you with them. In corporate aviation, that can happen as well but for corporate networking to apply to the majors - that is stretching your luck and reducing your opportunities.

I would STRONGLY urge you to go to the Regionals! Where else can you fly 700-900 hours of FAR 121 in a year? Believe it or not - it counts being FAR 121.

I work for a major and in my new hire class we had 12 MIL/12 CIV. Out of the 12 CIVILIANS hired, two were corporate Gulfstream IV guys that worked for Fortune 500 companies and the other 10 were all regional 121 guys with Jet/EFIS/FMS experience. All of the regional civilians had been employed as IOE Captains (Training), Line Check Airmen (Flight Standards), PC Check Airmen (Flight Standards), Simulator Instructors (Training) etc. You can't get that in corporate. The majority of our new hires had 4500-6500 TT and a few had over 9000+. You won't get that kind of flight time at corporate unless you work for a fractional.

Good luck with your decision - GO REGIONALS!!!!

XYV

took the citation gig! thanks for the replies...we'll see if it pans out in 2-3 years...probably won't in this industry but the ride will be fun and slow (-tation).
Good pick, I would much rather get stuck at a part 91 job then a meat grinder regional. With R65 on the way, you better be comfortable at your present position for a LONGGGGG time. Waiting for a major to call at a regional can be very miserable duty. Good luck and have Fun.......

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back