Which is better to get to a major?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CornFlyer

could post this on the regionals board, but we all know what happens there! Which job would be better to take? I've been offered a Citation II PIC opportunity with my current company flying about 500 hours a year or taking a job with Skywest doing the whole regional thing. Pay would average out between the two...so that is not a concern. Just wondering what looks better on the resume in 2-3 years? Thanks!

could post this on the regionals board, but we all know what happens there! Which job would be better to take? I've been offered a Citation II PIC opportunity with my current company flying about 500 hours a year or taking a job with Skywest doing the whole regional thing. Pay would average out between the two...so that is not a concern. Just wondering what looks better on the resume in 2-3 years? Thanks!

How old are you? If you're in your 20's, I'd say go to Skywest and upgrade in a few years. There are places who prefer 121 PIC. I have 6 potential recommendations (people I've flown with) at Airtran but I don't meet their mins because all my turbine PIC is part 135. Hopefully that will change one day because Airtran is in my top 3 of places I'd like to work.
Good luck in your decision.

i'm the ripe old age of 27! Kind of leaning towards skywest just because of that reason alone...121 time. interested in what you all have to say though...

I would say first and foremost what counts is pic time. After just plain old PIC I would have to say the type of pic time. Airlines want at least 1000 pic turbine with some asking for 1300 min. I f you have it go to Sky West and get some 121 pic. I f you don't than i think its a tough call.

A citation II pic position should pay substantially more than what you will make at skywest, probably along the lines of a 6 to 8 year crj captain at Skywest as a minimum. Sounds like they should be paying you more if that is the case.

I would take the PIC, are there any other airlines besides airtran with the 121 time deal? There loss as far as your concerned. Your turbine PIC time will count towards interviews at southwest, delta, continental, fed ex, ups, jetblue, and whoever else is hiring. You'll have 1000 turbine PIC in 2 years and meet the mins vs upgrading at skywest on the Embraer after 1.5 years and still needing to build the 1000 turbine pic.

Last edited:
go skywest.

From what I've researched, (and I'm biased because I work in 121), majors
prefer PIC 121. With the Citation job, (assuming it's 91), you don't have a
track record of all the crap that goes along with a 121 op. Training events,
checkrides, crm, operating within 121 regs. etc...

Now it's not a lost cause, but I'd wager that 60% or so major newhires come
from regional 121 ops, and 25-30% military. Do you want to limit yourself
and fight hard for the remaining 10-15%?

If you go for the citation, and later change you mind, how easy will that be?
If you go for skywest, and later change your mind, how easy will that be?

What is your cost of this choice? for lack of a better phrase, in terms of
time, effort, and money?

How guaranteed is the citation slot? I have many friends who aren't getting
what was promised in the 91/135 charter world. These ops can come and go
in a season or two.

good luck

I always hear the opinions about the 121 time, yet 9 pilots in our area have been hired by WN in the past few years with only 91 Corporate time. I know several more that came from fracs. Seems like the QOL, pay, and type of flying at the Citation job would be worth it. You would probably have 1000 pic before you upgraded at Skywest.

Difficult scenario.

I've done both , so here's my opinion for what it's worth. (Nothing)

Airlines hire Airline Pilots. Sure, we all have friends that made it the other way, but if you want to be an airline pilot, then by God, go fly the line. Airline folks hire mostly known quantities. That doesn't mean 121 drivers are better, they're not. Apples and Oranges. But the folks that do most of the hiring prefer the citrus. Not fair, not always the way it goes down, but by and large true.

The 121 path is quicker. I was well-qualified as a Learjet guy, but my phone didn't start ringing until about two weeks after I updated with part 121 PIC. (Twice!)

The Citation job is probably a lot of fun. If you're a journey and not a destination sort of guy, then take it. Personally, I've had a blast with my career and wouldn't change a thing. I could have, however, been at the majors quite a bit sooner if I had maintained a stronger focus. Waiting as long as I did probably cost me several hundred thousand dollars. Again, I'm happy with the path I chose, it was fun and made me the Aviator I am.

Just remember though, seniority is EVERYTHING.

thanx for the replies...as for the flying, it is 135 and the pay is not as good as it should be...but i am definitely a "journey" type of guy and i've always wanted to fly in the regionals(not because of SJS!), that is what makes it tough...hard to pass up opportunities like this though!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back