which corp aircraft to buy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oh well my two pennies,

Sounds like mostly shot trips with a few long ones.

Look at the newer Citations. ie Bravo, Encore, or CJ2

Bravo will get you 395 to 402 knots with 1700+(Cessna says 1900, but thats to fumes) nm range
Encore is around 415 knots with 1800 nm or so
CJ 2 400 to 410 knots and about 1400 miles

All at altitude gives pretty good economy and they can still get into almost every field that a KingAir 200 will.

Bravos can be had for 3 to 4.5 mil for a low time late model, Encores run about 1 to 2 mil more. CJ2's will be the hardest to get a good deal on. Not many out there on the used market and the ones that are are very low serial numbers.

I try to stay away from the first 25 to 50 of anything....gives them time to work out the bugs.

I'm with KeroseneSnorter. Well thought out and accurate post.

Vector4fun said:
Gadzooks! The guy better own his own refinery. Even controllers call 'em "Jetpigs".;)

and

KeroseneSnorter said:
Ahhh, the Junkstar!!!!

Put the 5 mil in a pile and set it on fire.........Same as trying to pay the fuel bill on that puppy!

So, I didn't understand this at all. I don't think they look like pigs, I actually think they are cool. 4 engines. James Bond liked it. Reasonably roomy.

Then I looked here
Jetstar

And, Gadzooks, 2,741 gallons of Jet Fuel. That's not pounds, that's gallons. Oh, My, That's a lot on the credit card to fill that puppy up.

Okay, so now I understand.

I don't know, but assume Jetstars are rapidly decreasing to below bargain-basement (read nice Baron) prices. I can't imagine anyone spending the bucks to certify one for RVSM, but I wouldn't ever say never.

Sure seems like there's gonna be a bunch of cheap, old corporate jets this time next year. I suppose a bunch will migrate overseas or to Central/South America. Doesn't PEMEX operate a Jetstar or two? They could "afford" to....:rolleyes:

Get a used PC-12...

And use the savings from buying and flying it, to make sure you are paid well and what a pilot is worth.

A PC-12 should be able to do Dallas to Teterboro nonstop too.

This wouldnt be an environmental remediation company would it?

Last edited:
With a $5M budget you can get into just about any size airplane you want. Early GIII’s are running at less than $5M, and with the price of fuel in Texas, you can even justify operating them.

I’d recommend having the prospective owners go and charter a Lear 35, Citation 560, King Air 200, Hawker 700, and see which they like best. It’s like buying a car, some people buy Ford, some Chevy, does it really matter which one you drive… no they both get you there. However having an airplane they really like is very beneficial when that first heavy maintenance bill comes in.

If you get into a jet though, get very well acquainted with RVSM. Remember there are 2 parts of RVSM, 1 having the equipment installed on the aircraft ($100-200K). 2, getting the LOA! In my experience FSDO’s have been taking from 3 months to a year to issue a LOA, and this can been much longer if you are trying to get an approval for “Billy-Bob’s RVSM kit” instead of the manufacturer’s SB.

And Stop ragging the JetStar! I love those old birds, one of the roomiest cockpits ever built, flies like a dream and a pretty decent performer (with 731's).

501261 said:
And Stop ragging the JetStar! I love those old birds, one of the roomiest cockpits ever built, flies like a dream and a pretty decent performer (with 731's).
Yeah, well, at least I'm not the only one who thinks they are cool, and there is an RVSM kit for them. I have seen at least a couple of them for sale with RVSM.

So, have them charter a 731 jetstar too!!

sky37d said:
Yeah, well, at least I'm not the only one who thinks they are cool, and there is an RVSM kit for them. I have seen at least a couple of them for sale with RVSM.

Remember what I was saying about the 2 parts of RVSM, even if its got the RVSM equipment, I'd sure hate to try and pass an RVSM Jetstar through to a LOA. It's just the way the gooberment works, the POI has got to put checks on his checklist and the Jetstar RVSM simply has square pegs for round holes.

So, have them charter a 731 jetstar too!!

No don't consider a Jetstar, I love'em but they're just not practical here anymore. Time to send the old girl down south or over to Africa.

As wella s RVSM, keep in mind the requirement for TAWS in turbine aircraft with 6+ seats due in March 2005. Lear 35s are cheap right now with the market, but look out for Lears coming up on the 12 year maintenance checks.

If it were me I would go with a Hawker or Beechjet, both will satisfy his needs and you can get them for the price that he is willing to spend. CJ1's CJ2's are decent but quite expensive for what you get and small cabin that get's uncomfortable during the longer flights. The 350 would be no joy doing DAL TEB legs, did that and farther more times than I would like to remember and I can tell you that the pax sure wished they were in a jet.

3 5 0

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back