• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Goose Egg

Big Jens
Hey folks,

There comes a time in every flight instructor's life where they need to start looking into getting the ATP written done. There is a 135 and 121 version of the test. Does it make any difference as to what version I do? An ATP is just an ATP, right?

Thanks,
-Goose

first off...... MEOW

2ndly... I have heard the 135 version is easier with less questions. Maybe a smarter member can tell you if having a 121 or 135 job will extend either one more than the standard 24 calender months.....

No difference

An ATP written, is an ATP written, it is good for an ATP under either 135 or 121. We have had pilots with four year old 135 ATP written get their ATP in the DC-9, of course they worked here for two years after it expired.

Last edited:
I did the 135 one and i had weight and balance info for 747.....other than that it doesnt matter which one you do......but make sure you got the flight training lined up or you'll be sweating the expiration date. I was a captain at charter place so mine never expired.

I started looking at the ATP Gleim the other day, and my head exploded.

Made me realize I have a long way to go yet.

Here is another thought do your ATP checkride in a SEL, its easy, cheap, and short. Then you never have to take the written again. Easiest checkride I ever took in my life, did it with a Fed.

Do the 121, don't be a bottom achiever who always aims low because something is easier.
The standard you set yourself now will be the same you'll keep for your career. Think of it like the old Marine adage "train hard to fight easy".

The reason for having separate tests is so pilots who are currently operating under 135 or 121 have a test that is appropriate to the job they are currently doing. Even then it's your choice. If you eventually want to fly 121 it's not a bad idea to take that test even if you are currently flying 135. If you're not currently flying for an air carrier it would be a good idea to take the test for the job you think you'll get first.

acaTerry said:
Do the 121, don't be a bottom achiever who always aims low because something is easier.
The standard you set yourself now will be the same you'll keep for your career. Think of it like the old Marine adage "train hard to fight easy".

that's not exactly accurate.....both test are equally difficult......If your flying 135 then the 135 part will suit you.......because all the regulation questions are nothing new to you.

Latest resources

Back