Which American Flyers in Texas is Best?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

inplaneview

I'm looking for information on the best American Flyers CFI/CFII program in Texas. Do the Houston, Dallas, and Fort Worth locations all offer the same CFI/CFII programs? I'd appreciate any opinions on which location is the best, or just general feedback on what you thought of the training. I'm leaning toward attending the Houston school, but wanted to see what prior graduates thought. Thanks guys.

I'm looking for information on the best American Flyers CFI/CFII program in Texas. Do the Houston, Dallas, and Fort Worth locations all offer the same CFI/CFII programs? I'd appreciate any opinions on which location is the best, or just general feedback on what you thought of the training. I'm leaning toward attending the Houston school, but wanted to see what prior graduates thought. Thanks guys.

I've dealt with the one at David Wayne Hooks. Took my ATP written there. Scored an 89% and the test proctor said, "man, you way over-studied". Just recently I went there to price sim time. No one could give me an solid answer of what it would cost per hour. Sloppy looking IPs. A little too laid back for what I expect in a flight school.

I'm currently in the Chicago school and it is great solid instructors. Come to Chi town and you will love it!

First of All...SMOE.....I really dig your avatar...Now if I just had a Heineken..or 2.
Oh and Alimbo, I was planing to move to the Chicago areas maybe Dekalb or Will County...I'm currently under the foggles here in Tampa, FL. What are some good Schools to go to and as far as getting a CFI Job (When I get there, which won't be long because Uncle Sam, Banks and Familia is being very good to me...) If ya got info PLS post! Thanks.

Last edited:
Specifically looking for info on Houston's American Flyers CFI/CFII program. How does it compare with the rest of the programs out there? Also, does anybody recommend ATP's 2 week CFI/CFII/MEI program over American Flyer's 4 week CFI/II program? ATP is considerably more money, but how does the quality of the two programs compare?

ATP will teach you via power point. I considered it and decided that is much to rushed for me. The 30 day CFI academy is stressful at first but once you get into the second week its much better. I'm currently on my 3rd week and the anxiety isnt as bad. I would assume the program run similar to the other locations around the country. Are you planning on doing the program pt.61 or 141? My classmate is 141 and I'm 61 and it seems to be split in the middle. He was rusty on instruments when he came in. According to the 141 syllabus he has to do 13 hours of insturment flight time out of the 20 he is allocated. I on the other hand chose the 61 for the price. I get 5 hours for CFII and 5 for CFI. You take about an 1hr to get the spin endorsement. The first flight you do is roughly 1.0 for an IFR eval its kinda BS but you gotta do it. So it left me with a couple hours to practice teach IFR flight. Which for me was enough. Then again I'm pretty current on instruments. Where I worry is I'm guna only have around 2.0 left for commercial maneuvers. So I think I'm guna need to buy another couple hours in the plane which equates to 200 an hour. The 61 program came out to be 3800 after everything was said and done. The 141 is around 6500. If you proficient on flying instruments and comm. maneuvers then go 61 if not I would honestly say do the 141 but remember most of the time is spent on IFR not the comm. maneuvers. You can't split it down 10 and 10 either. The syllabus to be 141 requires it to be 13-7.

First of All...SMOE.....I really dig your avatar...Now if I just had a Heineken..or 2.
Oh and Alimbo, I was planing to move to the Chicago areas maybe Dekalb or Will County...I'm currently under the foggles here in Tampa, FL. What are some good Schools to go to and as far as getting a CFI Job (When I get there, which won't be long because Uncle Sam, Banks and Familia is being very good to me...) If ya got info PLS post! Thanks.

Honestly do the CFI academy they will more than likely hire you after you pass. Right now its kind of hit or miss with trying to get a CFI job. If you get one don't expect to be flying much. With the economy and winter season it slows down especially this year. Dekalb area isn't too far from Dupage airport and there is roughly 3 flight schools at the airport. Chciago Executive has another few Midway has one but they are very slow. Clow airport is very nice I liked the operation and people alot but if I had to guess I would say they are hurting right now for students. If this is going to be a part time job for you then perfect but I wouldn't expect to get full time until at least spring if not summer. Good luck let me know if you need anymore help.

The 61 program came out to be 3800 after everything was said and done. The 141 is around 6500. If you proficient on flying instruments and comm. maneuvers then go 61 if not I would honestly say do the 141.

ALIMBO: Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I'm still a little confused. The AF 30 day CFI/CFII academy is advertised for $2995. They don't break it down between Pt 61 or 141. You said the cost varied from 3800 to 6500...that's a long way from $2995. What am I missing? Also, do they expect you do have your written exams (FOI and Flight Instructor-Airplane) completed prior to arrival, or is this part of the 30 day process? Thanks again.

Hey no problem I was under the same impression too. 2995 is before tax without books and writtens. You can go into the course with the writtens done there is 3. FOI CFI-A and CFII. I chose to have them teach me the information to pass the writtens. 2 of your weekends are 8 hour days of Written test prep. They do a good job helping you pass them. So heres the break down. 2995 for the course. 400 or so for the books. and 300 or 100 bucks for each written. Plus tax. So it equates to around 3800. Anymore ?'s just let me know.

Hey no problem I was under the same impression too. 2995 is before tax without books and writtens. You can go into the course with the writtens done there is 3. FOI CFI-A and CFII. I chose to have them teach me the information to pass the writtens. 2 of your weekends are 8 hour days of Written test prep. They do a good job helping you pass them. So heres the break down. 2995 for the course. 400 or so for the books. and 300 or 100 bucks for each written. Plus tax. So it equates to around 3800. Anymore ?'s just let me know.

Good info. If I understand you right, it looks like the $2995 is for the Part 61 school. Part 141 must be quite a bit more. I plan to have my writtens done before I go. I'd like a slot in the February class, so I'll give them a call. Still not sure if Houston or Dallas is best but looks like Dallas may be preferable.

Latest resources

Back