• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Which 737 Type rating to get?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've been trying to apply for the WIA funding through Florida but am having no luck. The counselor said the programs that are funded are determined by the state and the A&P certificate is the only aviation programs Florida approves. What state did you apply through?

Michigan Well known for its welfare programs. haha

Congrats Way2! Have fun playing around with the heavy metal.

Domestic there is only one type rating B737. It is good for any hirings. None at the present. You can get an NG endorsment by taking a NG PC.
For foreign cariers one major request is to have at least 500 hours on type. Local CAA request. Many countries have a separate type for each series 200,300,400,500,NG.
Some time ago having a NG endorsement(no time) was possible to find a FO position in places such as Asia. Not anymore or maybe, if you are very lucky.
However it is free and go for it. Maybe someday SW will call.

Heavy metal....it is for me....135,000 Lbs (737) vs 28,660 Lbs (Falcon) or even a 7210 Lb (402)

Heavy metal is all relative, but you couldn't be more right, it is kindove sad! I hate to see this career in such a sad state of affairs! I am flying for a 402 operator, with lots of people with varied backgrounds. This includes everything from L1011 pilots from ATA, to pilots going to C-5 school next year. Weird times! I know a ex DC-9 pilots flying for flight express in 210s. I also know a guy that is typed in two jets, with a couple of thousand PIC jet that just got laid off and is going to be hauling bank checks in a 402 while he looks for better.

I wish none of us had to put up with the BS, and we all could have that "glossy paper ad in flying magazine" type of career. Unfortunately, that seems too be a myth. My mentor tried to warn me when I told him I wanted to be a pilot, but I didn't listen. Oh well, its been one hell of a ride.

Is the type very useful right now without time in type? I doubt it. Am I learning some things while I study, you bet! Maybe when things start to get better, having another type on my resume will help me out. I don't know the future, but I like to be prepared for the the improbable. This business is cyclical, and if I can prepare myself for the next upswing, well, then so be it.

My thoughts are with all those other people out there struggling right now. I know I am not the only one for sure. I hope for all of us that the upswing starts sooner rather than later.

So is there anyone else doing the type on here?

Last edited:
191,000 for the 727 I was on. It's definitely the heaviest thing I've flown, but by no means was it a big fish.

It wasn't fat, it was fluffy.

Nah, I bribed the governor.

For those who don't know, there are five different levels of fatness:
big
healthy
husky
fluffy
and DAAAAAYYYYYYUUUUUUUM!

I had taken the ATOP program, which was a very brief 737 intro over a weekend. Go to www.b737.com for details. That program wouldn't do you any good now but it was fun for a life-long MSFS geek and aspiring pilot.

My point is, I had some guides to the 737 (which I can't find at the moment) from that course from Canova Aviation Publications. www.canovair.com. I lent them to someone who got a B737 type and he found them useful and got the type rating.

Fun and a successful outcome? Come on now, you've been ( you are) a CFI. Training is all what you put into it and who you are paired with,either as a sim partner or instructor. You know the rest of the deal...

Good luck.

Thanks....I wrote the book he is talking about. But, I think I would look into a Corporate Type Rating on a GIV or Learjet to get job in today's market. Too many airline guys hitting the street with thousands of hours of experience on the 737.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back