Which 737 Type rating to get?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Way2Broke

I am going to be getting a 737 type, and I was curious which way to go. I am going to K & S aviation, and I was originally just going to get the 737-200 training, but now I am thinking about spending the extra 600 or so bucks and getting the 737-300 EFIS training. I would like to be able to use the training to look at jobs, and I have not ruled out going overseas. I had recently upgraded at my old company before getting let go because of a reduction in work force, so I do not have the covenanted 1000 PIC turbine. Also, I have to real glass experience. Is it true that on your certificate all it is going to list is B-737 no matter what training you get (200, 300 EFIS, NG?)

Suggestions? Thoughts? Funny jokes?

Last edited:
It is pretty much free. Paid for by Gov't funds (WIA) funds. But it only covers about 85% of the total costs.

The type rating on your certificate will say B-737 regardless of what subseries of the airframe you get trained in.

I understand that some foreign airlines require the NG or EFIS training.

Definitely get your training in the -300. Unless you think you'll be more comfortable in the old steam-gauge plane, the EFIS, even just the -300's basic system, will be much less work load, IMHO.

Here's a joke......the aviation industry!! Looks like I'm gonna join you in the unemployed ranks. SUCKS!!!!!!!! 3rd one in 3 yrs.

Do you really have your heart set on a B737 type? I'd think you'd have a lot more opportunities getting a type in something like the Citation series.

Well, I just re-read your post and it sounds like you're already on your way for the 737 type. Looking at the previous types you've flown I'd go for the most advanced (meaning newest) 737 variant you could. I hadn't flown with EFIS or FMS until my current position, and the transition was fairly easy... but it wasn't for others. I'd certainly think being fluent in some form of FMS be it Smiths, Honeywell or Collins would be an asset to you no matter what aircraft you move onto.

My grant was awarded to K&S Aviation.

Any pointers from previous graduates or is there a chance anyone else is getting ready to go through their program?

I want to have a good time learning, and have a successful outcome. And advise?

737/300 EFIS

Last edited:
My grant was awarded to K&S Aviation.

Any pointers from previous graduates or is there a chance anyone else is getting ready to go through their program?

I want to have a good time learning, and have a successful outcome. And advise?

737/300 EFIS

I had taken the ATOP program, which was a very brief 737 intro over a weekend. Go to www.b737.com for details. That program wouldn't do you any good now but it was fun for a life-long MSFS geek and aspiring pilot.

My point is, I had some guides to the 737 (which I can't find at the moment) from that course from Canova Aviation Publications. www.canovair.com. I lent them to someone who got a B737 type and he found them useful and got the type rating.

Fun and a successful outcome? Come on now, you've been ( you are) a CFI. Training is all what you put into it and who you are paired with,either as a sim partner or instructor. You know the rest of the deal...

Good luck.

Latest resources

Back