• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Where's the love

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Stop touching your brother...alright kids, everyone is in timeout...oops, my bad.

:eek:

Here is what erks me: FEDEX gives the impression they won't hire a furloughed pilot. You can't really blame them since they got yanked around by all of our fellow pilots that jumped ship during the furlough of the early '90's. Sure it would make sense for these companies to hire us experienced pilots (we are so great:D ), but not from a business aspect unless there was some way to lock you in to a contract, while letting you keep your seniority number. Then how many guys would jump ship, ignoring the contract just like the early '90's? Can we be trusted? Apparently not.

Take this time to diversify your skills. Get a job in another industry...or be a Mr. Mom.

See

Spinnup you can thank 90's Furloughees

Seeniner was right, FedEx and UPS got the shaft from the Delta and American Furloughees back in the 90s. I know more than my share of dudes who promised FedEx and UPS the wouldn't go back to thier other major and even resigned thier Line numbers. But when Delta and American called they went running back, American even gave them thier old line #s back even though they had resigned them. That is why FedEx will doesn't want to hire ex-somebodies.

And you can thank your unions for trying to keep thier thumbs on the commuters like Comair and stunting thier growth and not allowing Flow through agreements. A buddy thier said that a couple Furloughed Delta pilots came in wanting to apply and the Comair guys all but laughed them out of the office.

I wonder if Delta or United would have had to furlough if all the pilots would have agreed to a short term pay cut like SWA, AirTran, or JetBlue pilots said they would. I bet it will cost the majors more money to furlough, Retrain pilots, Recall and Retrain again than if the all pilots would have agreed to take a pay cut by flying less hours a month so everyone could have a piece of the pie and stay current.

Please don't be mad at the companies that are not hiring you. Look inward towards your own company. And someday when this happens again (which it will) don't sit there and say, "Well I had to suck it up back in 2002, so you young guys suck it up now". Be a part of the solution not the problem if you get a chance.

I will continue to pray for you and all those who have been affected by this tragidy. And may you seek Gods grace in your walk in life.

attitude of entitlement

The attitude of entitlement by a lot (notice I did NOT say all) ALPA pilots is sickening. Not only that, but most hard-core union folks are just completely ignorant when it comes to basic economic principles. It is sad.

Not all flight departments require resignation of seniority. At my company we have many American, United, Delta, etc furloughed pilots who the company knows are here for the short term 1-2 years and has paid for their training.

Its just the good career type companies like EJA and Southwest that want to hire career minded people not temp labor

[United Pilots had a choice to reduce their monthly garantee to avoid puting their brothers on the street. The vote from the top half was scew em.]

av8,

Where did you get this? The only vote so far was passed by United pilots to pay COBRA medical/dental benefits for furloughed UAL pilots out of their own pockets. UAL furloughed fast and furious starting in October and only accepted about half the requests for early retirement. By management's own admission, the 60 hour no-fly lines, early retirements, and other "furlough/surplus reduction" programs were ONLY meant by the Company to save money while they bumped pilots to lower paying equipment and furloughed pilots. They intended to end up with only about 8,000 pilots (out of about 10,000 as of 9/11) no matter what the Union did. So far, the Company is the only side to take action against junior pilots. However, it remains to be seen how the Union settles the contract violations (non-probationary furloughs, feeder flying, pay protection) with the Company when negotiations eventually take place.

Av8,

I believe your buddies are mistaken regarding the UAL pilots not accepting a reduction in guarantee too avoid future furloughs. I have been monitoring every source of information available on this situation (Alpa website, Capt. Forte's hotline, buddies still working for UAL, etc.). I have never heard this mentioned by any source of info. that I have access to. Do you have anything concrete on this??? If you do I'd sure like to see it.

I for one am extremely happy that the UAL pilots are going to cover our medical insurance costs. This helps out a lot to all of the furloughed guys out there.

Latest resources

Back