• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Where to live in ATL area?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Can I just put in a quick vote for city living.

Midtown, Virginia Highlands, Ansley park... are where all the new professionals are living. Decatur is also pretty good. Depending on your budget take a look at Inman Park/Grant Park. Right by the zoo. Chefs putting some great food there (parish, Rathbuns, etc...)

This is a good tip. Redfin is now in Atlanta. www.redfin.com (you will thank me) for your search 30309 is midtown. Grant Park is 30312. Glenwood park 30316 (brand new great community)

Now for my disclaimers. If you are a super conservative pilot. Avoid the city. Newnan, PTC, Roswell (Roswell my vote of those three) is the way to go.

Also if you want to enjoy Atlanta. You have to do Atlanta. The pilots I know that live in the city love the base and will never leave. They are an hour from hiking, boating, etc... On a day to day bases we do the kickball/dodgeball leagues in the park. When it rains it pours (dollar beers at park tavern). Great shows at the Fox and Chastain. Braves games every other day it seems. Lots of fun. Good luck with your search.

I enjoy living in the city! Piedmont park is fantastic! East Atlanta, Edgewood, Oakhurst, East Lake, Decatur, Old fourth ward, google all these neighborhoods... I did send you a PM about my property in East Atlanta..

All the above neighborhoods about 10 min drive to the airport!

I rented a house in Newnan before buying. Wife and I drove all over greater ATL looking for a place. Kennesaw, Cumming, Marietta, all the way up to Sandy Springs...basically between N I-75 and N I-85 were all pretty nice. Lots of shopping, close to mountains and two lakes. The bad here was higher home prices and LOTS of traffic. The further north we went we found we could get more bang for the buck but my commute to work was getting longer. Peachtree city is still nice but we ended up buying a house in Newnan. We could get more house for less money here. Traffic is not an issue here. Those that say it is never lived in Los Angeles or Seattle!!!!! When I say Newnan I don't mean the city. The surrounding neighborhoods like Summergrove, Cannongate and further out by Thomas crossroads, Senoia, Palmetto ect.... Good Luck.

ATL native. Grew up in Sandy Springs. I would look up the 400 corridor from S. Springs/Dunwoody up to Alpharetta and S. Forsyth. Great schools in Alpharetta and Roswell. E. Cobb is also great. Walton is an excellent school. Smyrna/Vinings is great but the schools stink. Never heard of Newnan having great schools until reading this thread. P'tree city schools are good. In town, VA Highlands, Morningside, Ansley Park and Inman Park are fun/trendy places. Probably looking at private school though. If you are willing to drive another 45, Auburn and Athens are great towns with excellent public schools. Best of luck. Tons to do in and around ATL and overall the weather is great.

Peachtree City number 8 on Money magazine best places to live in 2009. Buy a golf cart and you can go anywhere in the city.

I've been staying in Peachtree City while in recurrent/requal training and it's NICE! Very nice community. Parks all over the place, the homes are affordable (if not in need of a little remodeling). The community is really tight with all of your neighbors driving around together in their golf carts...it sort of lends itself to talking with and getting to know your neighbors. Lots of current and retired airline employees...EASY drive to ATL.

I live up in N. Georgia and have actually caught myself thinking about a move to PC.

I'd look there first...

Not much to add - I live ITP and love all that comes with it. Can totally understand wanting to be outside the city with land, solitude, good schools, etc. My wife and I are at the point where we are discussing the burbs as we look towards kids, but for anyone coming here as we did originally, in your early to mid 20's, the city and all its enclaves are where it's at. I work out of Fulton County, and can get there and to Hartsfield in 10 minutes. We are currently in Reynoldstown, other favorites are East Atlanta Village, Ormewood Park, Cabbagetown, Inman Park, all Highlands variations, and Decatur (higher taxes, but the only good schools intown). I feel like the haters never experience anything but what they see on the way to their crew hotel in College Park. Great, diverse city.

Virginia Highlands, Downtown Decatur, Candler Park---unless you don't like city-ish life. If you are, go south of the city. A lot of guys live in Newnan.

Latest resources

Back