Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LR25

Its just a vintage VW
I think the concensus is, to live around Danbury, CT, but is there "resonable" other options also?

Is Long Island too far fetched, Queens, or east of Queens?

I have been told I do not want to try and cross the Tappan Zee everyday, what other options are there up north of HPN in NY?

Where is the most resonable cost of living, with not a really long commute, 1 1/2 hrs or less?

As someone living in the HPN area, I can pretty much answer any of your questions. For starters, avoid crossing any bridge like the plague....especially the Tappan Zee (tons of construction on 287). I'd steer clear of LI/Queens as well. Where to live depends mostly on what you are looking for besides just an inexpensive place. Do you want to be near things to do like bars, restaurants, etc? Or do you want to be out a ways? Have a family? All kinds of things to consider. PM me and I'll help you out. I've been flying out of HPN for 10 years now.

GJ

I live in Dutchess County, NY. That two counties north of Westchester and I can get to HPN via 684 in under an hour. Dutchess County is growing fast and a decent amount of HPN based corporate pilots live here as well. Dutchess County airport is the main airport here. There are plenty of condos around that are fairly affordable.

I think you're best bet would be somewhere in Putnam County. The drive may be a bit longer, but avoid the Tappan Zee Bridge and any road leading to/from NYC. You may find something in White Plains, Norwalk, Stamford, or as someone already suggested, Danbury. Best of luck.

Dutchess county!!

Putnams taxes are sky rocketing Dutchess has some culture , a great mall ,movies , nice airport , wineries great fall foliage ,and outdoor sports for off days !! Chas

Long Island?????

You are new here huh? (kidding)
dont even think about the Long Island - HPN commute.
The Island is terrible. Sky High taxes and Sky High cost of living.

1-1.5 hr commutes = CT or Dutchess/Putnam county. Thats it. As far as CT, Danbury and north&east are the options. Going South gets way too pricy quick!

Housing prices are cheaper in NY but taxes are higher. CT schools are better (if kids are a factor)

Cost of living.....an estimate is around 300K for a 2000sq ft, 30 yr old house, and estimate 5K/yr taxes. (this varies tremendously by town)...and rememeber cars are taxed as property. SO higher tax rate town can bring you $3000 car tax bills if you drive something worth a few bucks. Boats are NOT taxed, and can even be a "2nd" residence if they have a bathroom....taxwise.

If ya got any specific area questions, feel free to PM. I will try and help.:D

Why not ask planehpn? I'm sure he could give you some good tips...as soon as gets back from the AOPA strike picketing!:D

Dutchess County is beautiful and the drive is not that bad going to HPN. Haven't lived there, just spent a little time in the area with family, so I can't offer more.

Personally I found Danbury to be an awful place...I visited my father, stepmother, and stepbrother there a few times over the year that they lived there. There's not a great deal to do and it's a pretty depressing place, IMHO. They were really, really glad when my father got a job elsewhere...I don't know anyone who's left that would go back voluntarily :rolleyes:

HPN is a 25 min commute from Danbury, CT. Danbury has an airport as well..DXR. Brewster, NY is just over the line from Danbury and if you look in the paper you can find something to rent for 600-xxxxx/month. Brewster is 20 mins from HPN. Anything South of Brewster with the possible exception of Carmel, NY is going to up in price. Look in these papers:
www.acorn-online.com
www.nyjournalnews.com
www.newstimes.com
www.newtownbee.com

I have to disagree with ravengirl that danbury is a horrible place. It's certainly not as exciting as NYC but there are ALOT of pilots who make their home there. Candlewood lake is located there and is a great place to chill out on the off days. If your lucky, you can find a place on the lake...now that's living.

Anyway, good luck...I just moved myself and know the pain of locating the right place. I found an affordable place, just took some patience (which I have little of!).

I know a lot of single folks who live in Danbury, they seem to like it. The lake is the center of social life during the summer. They take advantage of the smaller weekday crowds to waterski and drink beer...Winters in the North $uck no matter how you look at it...One could move to a place like Florida or something....but then maybe you might spend your life working in a Walmart waiting on all the mulletheads....

No, its not a NYC,, but a close commute to HPN and about the closest PILOTS can seem to afford!

A place ON the lake??? humm....not on an aviators salary (unfortunatly)......

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back