where to go for long cross-country?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Kspg Kvnc

KSPG...Albert Whitted...I was a CFI there for a few years. Only one runway does not have water at the end of it. You can't beat the view on the approach or departure. There's restaurants nearby, and being a cool place to fly in, you will usually see numerous interesting airplanes on ther ramp.

Also KVNC...park at Triple Diamond and walk down the street to Sharky's which is the coolest little beach bar and grill this side of Margaritaville. It is literally on the beach. Sometimes there's live music. Have a burger and a non-alcoholic drink, then go get your feet wet in the surf before saddling up and going home. Also, if you are ever looking for an alternate because storms are lined up in the middle trapping you to the west, it is nice to wait it out there...with your feet up on the deck, while FSS has you one hold. I used to make a point of takign my students there on one leg of our long dual x-country to a) show them how to get in and out of Venice safely b) give them a "direct-to" Sharky's and 3) get a grouper sandwich. It's also a neat-o place to take friends for dinner, and then log a little night time after the sun goes down on the flight home.

Lakeland is fun. You can pull your airplane up to the restaurant.
The Sun n' Fun museum is on the other side of the field, but I think the FBO can drive you there or give you the crew car to get there.

Let us know how it goes....

cforst513 said:
hi everyone! i was able to dodge the clouds enough today to fly solo to gainesville, FL and back on my first solo X-C. it was pretty uneventful but a lot of fun, nonetheless. tomorrow i get to knock-out my long, and i was wondering if you know of any cool airports to go to? i am based at new smyrna beach, just south of daytona, on the east coast of florida. any ideas?
If you fly out to San Diego I'll buy your lunch. If you change your avitar I'll buy dinner. Oh you did say CROSS COUNTRY didn't you?

'Sled

Lead Sled said:
If you fly out to San Diego I'll buy your lunch. If you change your avitar I'll buy dinner. Oh you did say CROSS COUNTRY didn't you?

'Sled

Hey... can we start a petition or something to get him to change that avatar?

Hey mods, if we can get a petition with at least 5 votes for a change, will you enforce it for us? :)

Come on down to FXE. Just keep the shore to the right going southeastbound and the shore to the left on the way home.

EDUC8-or said:
Double Jeremys also vote for the avatar to hit the road.

Weren't you supposed to go today?

What about CDK? I did DAB-CTY- (used to have pigs that drank beer there, I think they might be bacon now)-CDK-DAB. Cedar Key is a fun flight!
eh, the Double Jeremy's are a bunch of punks! who cares what they think? ;)

i was supposed to go today, but the clouds had a different idea. of course, around 1pm today, it was freakin' blue skies and sunny. go figure. but keep the good ideas coming!!! this might have to take place thursday since NASA and the FAA won't let ANYONE fly in florida tomorrow....

Clouds???If you fly 500 feet offshore and stay away from the boats you can fly at 50 feet. Clouds--no problem man.

this isn't me telling you that my CFI peruses this board every once in a while, and he has a cattle prod. every time i suggest something like that, i get a shock, so it's best i not reply. sorry! it's a cool idea, though.

gkrangers said:
CDK is nice. Go there, cuz I wanna know if the surge from Dennis did any damage.

Swice, you still instructing? I'm gonna need a commercial instructor this fall...who do you think Wassmer would recommend?

Yeah, I'm still instructing. I have a couple of interviews later this month, but I might instruct and teach one more year. Call Wass and see what he says. He starts class on the 28th of this month. If I'm around I'd be happy to work on the commercial with you.

this isn't me telling you that my CFI peruses this board every once in a while, and he has a cattle prod. every time i suggest something like that, i get a shock, so it's best i not reply. sorry! it's a cool idea, though.

I was perusing with him. He's never been to CDK but I'm sure he would sign you off to go there.

Latest resources

Back