Where do kids get these ideas?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flying Ninja said:
All this time you are still a FO? Were there no opportunities to upgrade or what this a personal choice? I'm sincerely interested.

When I got sick of charter flying I applied at three regionals: Comair, Great Lakes, and Continental Express. All three offered me a job. If I had chosen Comair I'd be a 3rd year Captain today. If I had chosen Lakes (which a friend of mine did at exactly the same time), I'd be gone like he is, at UPS. But I chose Continental Express because at the time, the upgrade was less than 1 yr on the ATR. After 1 yr, instead of upgrading, I got furloughed so some off-the-street CAL flowback could take my job and bitch about it. I went back to charter. After 2 years of flying charter, I got recalled to XJT. I'm just now senior enough to upgrade, which I'll be doing next month. If you were facing the same three choices, which would you choose? Just proof that's what is gold today is garbage tomorrow. I suppose I could have applied at other regionals like CHQ, MESA, etc. when XJT furloughed me, BUT BUT BUT, they told me as they were taking my ID on Thanksgiving weekend of 01 that I'd be out less than 1 year, and they couldn't wait for me to come back. Again, what would you have done?

I'm not bitter, believe it or not. But I wish I knew then what I know now....

T2S

Time2Spare said:
T2S

Thanks for sharing. I don't think any regional airline is a good bet. I think a lot of folks on the boards are saying the same thing...regional is hell. It would appear that this career is all about luck. I should have just taken my money and ran to Vegas. At least I'd have one hell of a time with a chance to win some money vs. a total loss going to a flight school.

Best of luck! I hope Fate has better plans for you than she has for me. :)

Time2Spare said:
When I got sick of charter flying I applied at three regionals: Comair, Great Lakes, and Continental Express. All three offered me a job. If I had chosen Comair I'd be a 3rd year Captain today. If I had chosen Lakes (which a friend of mine did at exactly the same time), I'd be gone like he is, at UPS. But I chose Continental Express because at the time, the upgrade was less than 1 yr on the ATR. After 1 yr, instead of upgrading, I got furloughed so some off-the-street CAL flowback could take my job and bitch about it. I went back to charter. After 2 years of flying charter, I got recalled to XJT. I'm just now senior enough to upgrade, which I'll be doing next month. If you were facing the same three choices, which would you choose? Just proof that's what is gold today is garbage tomorrow. I suppose I could have applied at other regionals like CHQ, MESA, etc. when XJT furloughed me, BUT BUT BUT, they told me as they were taking my ID on Thanksgiving weekend of 01 that I'd be out less than 1 year, and they couldn't wait for me to come back. Again, what would you have done?

T2S
Dude, I've seen the strongest company become the weakest between the time I took off and landed.

YourPilotFriend said:
Dude, I've seen the strongest company become the weakest between the time I took off and landed.
You know how many former Simmons and Eagle guys there are out there flying 135? Go to any airport that has a charter service and thow a beer bottle up in the air. If you don't hit one of them in head, you'll probably hit their car.

YourPilotFriend said:
"Because of all the girls".

If he doesn't smarten up quick, he'll be writing a few alimony and child support checks in the future.

Are some guys really that insecure that they have to try to impress in these types of ways (ie. being able to tell chicks "I'm a pilot")? I just don't get it. Does testosterone really make you that stupid that you would actually choose a certain path in life just to get girls. Very perplexing if you ask me. (Actually, it is pretty da*n f*cked up but I can't say that because I may get banned for a few days)

Yeah, I was always operating under the idea that FIRST you get the money, THEN you get the women.

i fly boxes said:
are you kidding me???? If people were educated on this type of thing, no one would go to their flight schools, thats why no one teaches anything about it. What amazes me is how fast everyone expects things to happen. 21 year olds expecting to be left seat of a 747 by the time they are 25. We have become an impatient world. Hard work is not rewarded anymore, its all about who you know, and who can you screw over to get to the top. Thats why people with money win, and can go to these flight schools and get into a crj with 300 hours, while their parents pay back their loans while they are making 21 dollars an hour.

Its called the Instant Gradification Generation..........kids no longer want to work hard toward something...why should they???

capt. megadeth said:
If he doesn't smarten up quick, he'll be writing a few alimony and child support checks in the future.

Are some guys really that insecure that they have to try to impress in these types of ways (ie. being able to tell chicks "I'm a pilot")? I just don't get it. Does testosterone really make you that stupid that you would actually choose a certain path in life just to get girls. Very perplexing if you ask me. (Actually, it is pretty da*n f*cked up but I can't say that because I may get banned for a few days)

Impress the chicks.....then marry one.

A few years later you'll be divorced and your EX-wife will get the house.

Sound like a good idea?

Time2Spare said:

T2S

I'm confused...if you had gone to Comair at the same time that you went to COEX, how would you have been a 3rd year Captain by now if you are just senior enough to upgrade at XJT? I'm not doubting you, that just doesn't make sense to me though. XJT's most junior Captain was hired 2 years later than Comair's.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back