Where do kids get these ideas?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
YourPilotFriend said:
I told him the truth, but I fear kids only hear what they want to hear. Why would he believe me if he's been lied to all his life?

What amazes me is that none of these kids educate themselves. I have to admit, about 3 yrs ago I was looking at those infamous gloss ads in Flying magazine thinking that was the way to go. Then I did a little research and talked to some people in the know and realized what the deal was.

Why can't these people do the same? Most of them are young and therefore familiar with using the internet for research. Seems to me that if you are planning on getting into massive debt and dedicating a huge portion of time to a career you'd research it. Also, "because of all the girls" sounds very immature. This guy already has his commercial and still doesn't get it? Must be a moron!

pgcfii2002 said:
Its called the Instant Gradification Generation..........kids no longer want to work hard toward something...why should they???

I agree, I notice more of that. But it seems to be directly related to the kid's upbringing. People in their 20s that had to work for clothes, car, etc. in high school and for college are much more in tune with reality than those that have been living off the silver spoon.

Incidentally, anyone catch the column in this month's AOPA Pilot? Rather "interesting" article about a first year ExpressJet FO.

wrxpilot said:
I agree, I notice more of that. But it seems to be directly related to the kid's upbringing. People in their 20s that had to work for clothes, car, etc. in high school and for college are much more in tune with reality than those that have been living off the silver spoon.

Incidentally, anyone catch the column in this month's AOPA Pilot? Rather "interesting" article about a first year ExpressJet FO.

I used to get that magazine....ended up cancelling. What is the story about???

pgcfii2002 said:
I used to get that magazine....ended up cancelling. What is the story about???

One of the writers, Thomas Haines, wrote about a pilot in his "Waypoints" column that went to Delta Connection Academy and is now "living the dream" as a 1st year FO on a shiny ERJ.

Here's where it gets weird: She (the FO) stays at a crashpad in Houston and flies back to stay with her parents on off days (ok, understandable). She is using the crashpad until the house that she's building in Houston is finished. Wow! I just don't see how somebody could go to DCA and then be building a house on 1st year FO pay. Also sounded like she had a lot of part time gate agent jobs amongst several "regular" jobs prior to DCA. Apparently gave up a very lucrative phamaceutical job offer to do the DCA thing.

I don't know what to think. I don't really like places like DCA being glorified, especially by AOPA. I may be very wrong, but I just got the feeling the FO was also "privelaged" and therefore able to act on a lot of opportunities unavailable to most of us. Perhaps just petty jealousy on my part, but it doesn't seems like an accurate portrayal of getting into professional flying (which is what I thought was the point of the story). Borrow somebody's March '06 AOPA pilot and see for yourself.

Well, AOPA Pilot and AOPA Flight Training are heavily biased as to how great these big academies are. I am sure they are not going to receive revenue from ads placed in the magazine and then write articles with negative comments toward the schools.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back