• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Where can the fam live near EWR?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=40.776382,-75.634003&spn=0.777877,1.065674&z=10&om=1

With my dad's awesome set of tv repair tools, my computer skills aren't as google friendly as I'd hope.

From 476 inbound to EWR parking lot, figure around 1:30 to be safe. The right side of this map is the Penn/NJ border. The prices will decrease going up and increase going right. Extremely General rules, but take a look. It's a pretty good area. Prices go from the 100's to unknown. I just saw a place that required a staff for the staff quarters! Who lives that way?

Weichert Realtors is big in the area, well in the lower side of the map.

Philadelphia suburbs

I am a lifetime Philadelphia suburbs resident and have been EWR based now for nearly two years. My commute is very easy and takes me roughly 1 hour and 20 minutes. I live on the main line in the western suburbs of Philadelphia near King of Prussia.

As far and Schools and real estate taxes go, you can not beat the schools here. Simply put they are top notch! Real estate taxes are very reasonable as long as you do not buy a new home. Taxes on a $400,000 home should run you roughly about $3500- 4000 bucks per year.

I cant imagine commuting and giving up days off with hassle of possibly getting bumped. But that is just me.

The only downside to this area is that $400,000 will not buy you nearly what it will say in Cleveland but it will put you in a great neighborhood with again great schools.

Good luck and welcome to CAL.

Not to get too far off topic, but can someone recommend some areas of Houston that are decent? We're looking for "cool urban living" that has a lot to walk to but is also close to the airport. I'm going to try and get Houston as soon as possible and Jersey isn't an option as I HATE the cold!

Thanks and sorry for the hijack!

I live near Cherry Hill in NJ. 1 hour 20 from airport, 15 minutes from downtown Philly and very family-oriented towns with good schools.

Prices about the same as Allentown area or a little cheaper in some cases. Car insurance definitely more expensive, not sure about taxes- around $4500 on a ~$250k house.

I like it- but I would definitely second the rent first idea. Nothing to lose.

Thanks for all of the responses guys. Very helpful. We probably will rent at first and scope out the area. Keep throwing out specific names of towns, that really helps. Do people live in CT, or is the traffic too rough?

I am commuting from Florida now and it has not been totally unbearable. However, I am planning on renting a place on the Jersey shore for the winter. Winter rentals there are pretty reasonable and it allows us to see if we even like it up there without having to commit at least a year to the effort. Looking around Monmouth and Ocean counties, it seems to be a :45 - 1:15 minute commute to EWR. Check out the Red Bank, Brick, Point Pleasant, NJ areas.

I start class in December and live in Hellertown, Pa, which is in the ABE area. 1:10 front door to parking. Safe town, good schools, right off I78.

Check your PMs.

About CT:

Greenwich is through the moon prices.
Danbury is a craphole, although Bethel is decent. In any case, if you live in CT, you're crossing the TappanZee or GW bridge, which can be a royal pain. So, yes, I think you would regret it in the long run.

Never put a bridge or a tunnel between where you work and where you live. You'll be much happier.

Latest resources

Back