Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

User546

The Ultimate Show Stopper
Reading the thread about the DME Holding Fix got me thinking again about holds. The last time I did a hold was during an IPC, and have yet to do one while flying professionally. Now granted, I haven't necessarily racked up a lot of hours yet, but the big joke among airline friends of mine is "what's a hold??" (usually stated during the 6 month checkout sim ride)

So I dont think its a wrong assumption to make that most people who fly for a living (atleast the non-single engine stuff) get issued holds very often.

When was the last time YOU got given a holding instruction? Where were you, and why did you have to hold? And we're not talking about bladders here gentleman.

WANJO intersection. The IAF for the ILS to rwy 8 at Barrow, AK. It's not uncommon to have 4 or 5 airplanes stacked up while waiting for the rvr to come up to mins for the approach. 737, couple of navajos, BE-99, and CE-208, all driving around in circles.....

The last ATC issued hold was at an IAF waiting for the weather to lift at my local apt for the ILS. We were on top, so it was beautiful. That was at the end of last summer.

Just curious;

If Barrow is below ILS mins, what's your nearest practical alternate? I mean, that's likely to have decent WX?

And, rhetorically, why is fuel cheaper in Barrow than at Signature in Austin????

:rolleyes:

Vector4fun said:
And, rhetorically, why is fuel cheaper in Barrow than at Signature in Austin????:rolleyes:

Thanks for the good laugh, I needed that today! Good ole' Signature...

We did a hold last week and I get holding instructions a couple times a month with an actual hold maybe once every month or two, depending on how much of a mess ATL is.

About three or four times a year I will wind up spending a lot of time in holds waiting for mins to come up. I have held as long as 2.2 hours waiting while doing 10 mile legs.

After going missed at an ALTERNATE once, the contoller gave me a block of airspace and an EFC...he just told me stay west and north of xyz airport by so many miles, here's an EFC, call you back in an hour.

So I just got to meander around north west of the alternate airport that I went missed at...which put me about halfway between the alternate and the destination airport, which is where I really wanted to go, but it was down there too.

So I dialed in both AWOS's and flew around for a while looking out the window as I drove around at an assigned altitude and did whatever I wanted to for about an hour. Tell me that wouldn't drive ya buggie....

"Yea, we just went missed at zyz!"

"What are your intentions?

"Hold?"

"How about this one, climb to 4,000 take up a heading of 300 and remain Nortwest of the field. Stay 10 miles North and West at 4,000...EFC 1500. I got a Citation coming in that wants to try the approach."

"Oh...OK...we'll monitor ABC awos and maybe we'll get lucky over there!"

Unfortunatly it happens quite often inbound to MSP. If not daily, at least a couple of times a week. At some of our outstations that are uncontrolled it's fairly often there also. I think it depends a lot on where you operate. Very rarly do it when inbound to DTW.

I think I did one way back when I was practicing for my ATP.... and maybe a few years before that for my commercial multi.... oh yeah, and every 90 days I do at least one turn in a hold...... seriously.

Holds happen more often on the east coast than the west. I don't think that I did more than one a year flying corporate lears in the south, west and upper midwest. Now that I drive up and down the east coast, I get about one a month.

enigma

Latest resources

Back