• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

When's The Last Time You Had To Hold?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I haven't held in awhile. Normally when ATC needs some seperation, they can do it by vectoring you back and forth across the course instead of spinning you. They won't normally start holding unless the airport has stopped accepting arrivals completely.

Sometimes we're on the descent for the airport, and the wx is still below mins. Approach usually asks us what we need, and a few minutes later a Special comes out and we have our viz!
Funny how that happens!

User997 said:
When was the last time YOU got given a holding instruction? Where were you, and why did you have to hold?
Last month in Cabo.

Last year at Jackson Hole I think we entered holding at FL370 with 20 or so planes below us. It's interesting trying to stay on course while cutting across a 90kt jetstream.

Two days ago at Dulles. It's not all that uncommon there.

Alternates for Barrow include Deadhorse (PASC), Bettels (PBET), and Kotz. All require lots and lots of fuel. However we would keep track of the current conditions at Wainwright (PAWI), 75 miles away and Nuiqsit (PAQT) 110 miles away, neither are legal alternates because of TAFs and GPS approaches. But you can always change your destination. It was amazing, after holding for a while, Barrow FSS would ask your fuel state, then within another 10 mins the RVR would go up to 2400 just as you got to the FAF. Those FSS guys are the best in the business.

Jet A is cheapest at Deadhorse because they refine it right there at the oil field.

I held 3 times on my last 4-day trip and all 3 were "due to volume" at our arrival airport. Not a huge deal except for the fact that I should probably keep that en route chart out so when the ATC controller says "hold at abc fix as published" I don't waste time trying to find the proper chart. :D Then again, I heard another aircraft ask ATC what the "hold as published" meant since they were too lazy to dig up the chart.

-Neal

I held while trying to get into SMX about 7 months ago. I was number 3 behind a Van and a -99. The weather was right at mins. The funny thing is, even when the weather is like that, I rarely hold. We just all happen to arrive at the same time.

User997 said:
When was the last time YOU got given a holding instruction? Where were you, and why did you have to hold? And we're not talking about bladders here gentleman.

November 3, 2004 - Instrument Check Ride

SOONR Intersection/OM 5,000'

King Air on the approach wanted to get in and we were (obviously) slower. Knocked out the hold requirement too. Broke out at about 4,200 on the way up but a little buildup came over and started tossing some ice on us, so we got to descend as the KA was crossing the marker. One turn later cleared for the approach, called tower, got b*tched at for the landing (see crab and kick v slip thread for details if you're interested) got tanked that night.

I've been given vectors way the hell out to BFE, but not a hold since...unfortunately.

-mini

3-4 times per day for my PHL ops. 1-2 turns at VCN and then in. VFR, IFR obviously it gets worse.

It is an arrival volume issue.

RVSM said:
3-4 times per day for my PHL ops. 1-2 turns at VCN and then in. VFR, IFR obviously it gets worse.

It is an arrival volume issue.
One night at MKE they had us in a serpentine conga line arrangement. It was unforecast 100vv and the lowest rvr possible to get in.

I would have to say the that the vectors in the conga line lasted 45 minutes. The funny thing was the Northwest Guys that checked on and they were given holding instructions. They acted all surprised that things were all that bad...it almost seemed as if the rest of us were a great imposition on them. The controller told them get their pen handy, they were number 25.

During portions of the vectors in the conga line, they asked me to make 360's at least twice, if not three times. That's kind of fun, 360's in IFR conditions...expecially the way the cloud structure was, because occasionally you'd see the other aircraft out there.

I was monitoring the awos at about 4 airports in case I had to make a run for it, UES was 400 and 1 and I was getting to the point with fuel where it was starting to make think of whipping out the "min fuel" card or head to UES and top off.

Next think you know, they vectored me on heading of 090 to cross the field for the downwind to the ILS and I was next in line.

It was all of at least 45 minutes of vectoring and it was unforecast conditions at MKE...coastal cities, go figure. One little change in wind direction at sunset and everybody gets to get in line.

FN FAL said:
During portions of the vectors in the conga line, they asked me to make 360's at least twice, if not three times. That's kind of fun, 360's in IFR conditions...expecially the way the cloud structure was, because occasionally you'd see the other aircraft out there.

That sounds pretty sweet...but you still haven't told me how to enter the hold backwards....I'm waiting...you know...just for one of those things to make ATC go, "huh?"

(for those of you that can't tell...no...I wouldn't actually enter a hold backwards and tie up airspace for kicks, but FN told a story a few months ago about entering a hold backwards during his training and I wanted him to explain it to me then and he still hasn't...but no...I wouldn't actually do it so spare me the lecture)

-mini

Latest resources

Back