Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

When's The Last Time You Had To Hold?

Usually have to hold at least 2 to 3 times a month. The 738 makes it very easy and really comes to pushing a few right buttons. No big deal as long as you have plenty of fuel.

HMR said:
Last year at Jackson Hole I think we entered holding at FL370 with 20 or so planes below us. It's interesting trying to stay on course while cutting across a 90kt jetstream.

There are lots of areas in the Rockies that are below radar coverage, and it is not unusual to have to hold until the airplanes ahead of you get in. This is the case at JAC, SUN, TWF, PIH, and IDA.

I was in the j/s once somewhere in Iowa headed to Boston at 370 in a 757 when we had to hold. Some center up ahead had closed itself to all inbounds due to weather

Most out in SoCal today had to hold..........at one point there were 12 or 13 I think stacked over Thermal up to FL250....some got into TRM, others waited and waited and waited and finally got into PSP..I think one of our Falcons held for 2.5 hrs, persistent yet patient pax, I guess. At least I got to b.s. with Sammy Hagar for a while over at TRM while he waited for his ride. Very Cool and down to earth guy, but Roth will always be Van Halen.

Has it been like this out there all week?

Last edited:
Last time I held, aside from a PC, was Evansville, IN last summer at about 3am waiting for the vis to come up for the ILS. Before that I did plenty of holds in my stint at Pinnacle... A few into DTW, but most were into MSP in the evening. About the time MSP gets the "Bimidji Barrage" of Queen Airs and 99's. :D

Last August going into MSP during the midday "rush". Center said hold over EAU for flow and we weren't even done with the outbound leg when cleared direct TWINZ. Never once held flying 135 cargo in the Carolinas (very fortunate).

Peace

SF

So just to break up the routine, try flying the hold inverted... now let's see.... are standard turns still 'standard' when updside down?.... stick forward - nose up... may create some interesting radio calls from the stack above and below you (while above (or below?) the cloud deck) trying to figure out if their AI is going bad...

holds

give me a right 360 and I will get back to you in a moment, while getting vectors for the ILS 27R into OAK. Only hold I have ever gotten

today.........but i dont think it counts when you ask for it

User997 said:
When was the last time YOU got given a holding instruction? Where were you, and why did you have to hold? And we're not talking about bladders here gentleman.

Last week...going into TEX. Numerous inbounds, given holding instructions at ETL. 2 in the stack below us.

Three weeks ago while going into EWR. Put in a hold about 100 miles west on an arrival due to traffic saturation. Clear blue skies, calm wind.

A few more over the past year. Probably 6 holds in the past 12 months. Most of them while waiting on another airplane(or many planes) are ahead of us on approaches to non-radar airports.

Latest resources

Back