When's The Last Time You Had To Hold?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FN FAL said:
I wouldn't call it anything phenomenal...

On the instructor's part, no...it wasn't...

But the fact that you were able to time the legs to turn "outbound" and cross the fix at the right times...man...that's pretty dang good!

-mini

minitour said:
On the instructor's part, no...it wasn't...

But the fact that you were able to time the legs to turn "outbound" and cross the fix at the right times...man...that's pretty dang good!

-mini
Hehehe...even a blind squirrel gets a nut now and then.

dam...you guys got it easy. if you havent held in awhile may i suggest;

1)some mountain flying? you know, a few of those "land on 31, takeoff on 13" type places that are surrounded on 3 sides by sharp, pointy, rocky things.

2)then to make it more fun, throw in a non-towered environment which makes the hold even longer cause some dumb@$$ "forgets" to call in and close his flight plan because hes too busy taxiing around trying to figure out where to park.

3)now mix in a few low clouds, nothing fancy...2,000 feet ought to do it.

blend all three in a bowl just long enough to moisten the batter, but not break up the lumps and i guarantee you will have a perfect holding scenario :p

If you want to hold in your career, then fly into SFO when they are operating on a Southeast configuration I.E. landing on 19R/L. If you are in bound on the Golden Gate 4 arrival expect nice delays at Pt. Reyes. Sitting in the tower on those days I see about 7 in the hold, stacked on ontop of the other, skywest EMB's mixed with UAL777's and KLM and all those guys. It happens quite frequently there. Never see the OAK inbounds hold. Maybe cause they aren't as busy....

I guess no one here flys into PHL or EWR ... we hold for them just about every day. IAD is another one... the center holds daily for them.

BluDevAv8r said:
Then again, I heard another aircraft ask ATC what the "hold as published" meant since they were too lazy to dig up the chart.

-Neal

Happens more then you would think...

About two months ago, inbound to CLE. Before that, new-hire training.

A better thread: When's the last time you've flown an NDB approach in actual? Last year here...

Last hold, 1 in Jan and 1 in Dec, going into EWR.
While flying GA, only had to hold once in Mariana, FL. A lear was doing the approach and there is no tower there, the lear went missed and I did the approach, then the lear landed
Lats NDB in actual, last year, had to go missed the firsttime around, landed the second try.

Latest resources

Back