Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

When Will Oil/Fuel Prices Begin to Impact Pilot Job Security?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My brother....it is people like you that come knocking on my door looking for a job after the stock holders or those with a financial interest in a company find out about the wasteful spending such as $1000 to feed six people. No, I have never paid that much for catering and if I ever do, I will start to seek employment elsewhere on my terms as opposed to the flight department being shut down when a new CEO comes in, or an audit is performed and the results are made public. That kind of stuff is making the news a lot now...the Wall Street journal does an article on that every several months or so. Be careful of a management team that treats a company asset as a toy of their own. Now, I'm sure it is different for a private individual that had an aircraft of their own that didn't belong to a corporation. There are always those people that can not spend half their money no matter how hard they tried. For those folks, I'm sure the pilot's job is secure until the owner dies, but for the rest of us the operational cost is a big factor in our job security, and the price of fuel is a large proportion of operating cost.

52560 said:
My brother....it is people like you that come knocking on my door looking for a job after the stock holders or those with a financial interest in a company find out about the wasteful spending such as $1000 to feed six peopl.

If that happens can I give you my resume? ;)

I work for an idividual who asked me to relocate the airplane from TEB to LGA after the Open. When he asked the logistical problems I told him the price ... WRONG answer. Never allow the cost of anything to get in the way!

We just purchased a jet that burns 50% more fuel than our other jet so the boss can leave ASE during the summer at 3pm instead of 8am. For some owners the price of fuel is less important than a round of golf.

Alternates viable

Back in 1975, when we were suffering under the 1973 oil embargo Lockheed had a concept airplane that would run on liquid Hydrogen. In mass production they said it would cost about $3.00/gal in 1975 dollars when a gallon of Avgas cost $.75. The Germans produced enough fuel out of coal to keep their Air Force in the sky until the US destroyed most of their plants. Bottom line as the price of fuel goes up, alternates will become more viable.

Last edited:
G100driver said:
If that happens can I give you my resume? ;)

If your used to paying $1000 for catering for 6 people, I don't think you would like this job...I work for a bunch of cheap arses!

I guess I was thinking more of companies that use their aircraft specifically or at least mostly for business purposes. Moving managers to and from the field.

Those of you who fly bigwigs to golf-games, fishing trips, caribbean islands, and spend $100s on catering are probably a little bit insulated for just the reasons that were mentioned -- those passengers are not likely to travel on the airlines.

Latest resources

Back