Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

When to start looking ahead to the ATP stage?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just recieved my book and software yesterday. I would like to have the written done in the next few months. At my current pace, I will be taking the practical towards the end of next summer.

When I did mine 11 years ago, you coudn't even take the written until you had the ATP hours met and 1st class medical in hand. Then you had to go to the FSDO to get your logbooks checked over, and written authorization from the FAA to take the test. Is that still the case?

LAXSaabdude.

Sorry BoDEAN, I read the bold message subject text and didn't pay too much attention to the body of the message. But I still wouldn't change my answer much. I've got ~1275 TT and I am beginning to study for the ATP written which I would like to take in/around February.

LAXSaabdude said:
When I did mine 11 years ago, you coudn't even take the written until you had the ATP hours met and 1st class medical in hand. Then you had to go to the FSDO to get your logbooks checked over, and written authorization from the FAA to take the test. Is that still the case?

LAXSaabdude.

Hmmmm, not sure. I checked the beginning of the Gleim book where it says "Authorization to take the Pilot Knowledge Test" and it makes no mention of that. All it says is that you must be at least 21 yrs old.

LAXSaabdude said:

LAXSaabdude.

this is no longer the case, i did mine about 2 years ago.

BoDEAN said:
What point does one begin studying for the ATP Knowledge Test?

about 2-3 weeks before you plan on taking the test. Most of it should be a review aside form the 121/135 regs. Those dang load pallet questions are annoying. The XC questions for a 747 were also a joy to calculate.

BoDEAN said:
What point does one begin studying for the ATP Knowledge Test?

Whenever you really want to.

Even if you don't have the hours to take the practical, you can get the written out of the way. If you're looking to get on with a regional, it helps to have the written passed. Some require it before even being hired. They usually use questions from this test during the written part of the interview too.

I'd recommend the Gleim book and software. I studied it for a few weeks and got a 99. The software helps you get through questions quicker, but the book is more practical for the charts and graphs. Much easier to read and interpolate from.

There are some formulas you'll need to memorize. You can PM me and I'll send them to you. They're on my home cpu. I can't access them now.

Also, study EVERY CHAPTER! Except for the regs.
Whether you're taking the 135 or 121 you'll get questions on 135/121 aircraft/perofrmance/IFR trips from both regs.
Although they're supposed to be separated, they never seem to be. You just don't need to study the 135 regs if taking 121 and vice versa. On my 121 almost all of my questions were from the 135 section.

I second the Gleim software and book, took me about two weeks of hardcore reading and clicking to feel comfortable.
I started studying right after hitting 1000 total and it helped a lot during the two interviews I've had so far.

Latest resources

Back