• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

When is the PinnaColaba list effective?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Seriously, your question was when does the list become effective. The answer is in that paragraph I quoted for you. Vacancies are open after the ISL is "announced". It's been announced, so the vacancies are open. If management can't do that, then they will have to compensate (money, days off, make a deal with ALPA) those Mesaba pilots that aren't awarded the 200 when the we haven't met our minimum as per the ISL. No wonder things never got done before the merger with you guys. You just roll over and say it can't be done so that's it. There is a Colgan vacancy on mymesaba already. Maybe they have something figured out. Maybe not. I guess we'll see.

Practically speaking there is no ISL until the list has been presented to the company. ALPA will not present the list until all parties have had a chance to review the award and get answers to any questions or concerns. The protocol agreement had a 60 day window to resolve these issues. When that process is over, ALPA will "announce" the list.

Practically speaking there is no ISL until the list has been presented to the company. ALPA will not present the list until all parties have had a chance to review the award and get answers to any questions or concerns. The protocol agreement had a 60 day window to resolve these issues. When that process is over, ALPA will "announce" the list.
Yet the protocol agreement also states that the ISL is in affect for vacancies when it is announced. You can't have it both ways. I would say it is in effect. If Mgmt. cannot meet training, the the vacancy should be delayed, or the pilots held under the bypass provisions for up to 90 days. Training may not be that much, especially for those that just need requal, differences, or 9E flows/calls. That training could be completed in days.

Jet FO to prop FO is a paycut. Anyway, this is no surprise. Mesaba and Colgan had already been doing their own hiring/training. Mesaba's website announced hiring for the Colgan side of things a lil while ago.

With this vacancy, there is no way, no matter where you are, that you would be displaced. The only way you could be displaced in the near future is if you were near the bottom of the 9E list and a Saab fo (which the category was stapled behind you) which is senior to you is displaced by a realignment. Besides, you already got a 25% (based on the average) pay raise in Feb, so you should still be net ahead, right? Again, give me a break.

edit: Wait, you have another thread started about not having 250 hours PIC to get your ATP. It doesn't sound like you are gearing up for a pay cut.

Last edited:
Yet the protocol agreement also states that the ISL is in affect for vacancies when it is announced. You can't have it both ways. I would say it is in effect. If Mgmt. cannot meet training, the the vacancy should be delayed, or the pilots held under the bypass provisions for up to 90 days. Training may not be that much, especially for those that just need requal, differences, or 9E flows/calls. That training could be completed in days.

You've convinced yourself that you know the specific definition of "announced" and who is able to do the announcing. I'm not sold on the idea that the list has been announced yet.

I think the transition from Mesaba jet to pinnacle jet is about a 3 week program plus OE.

With this vacancy, there is no way, no matter where you are, that you would be displaced. The only way you could be displaced in the near future is if you were near the bottom of the 9E list and a Saab fo (which the category was stapled behind you) which is senior to you is displaced by a realignment. Besides, you already got a 25% (based on the average) pay raise in Feb, so you should still be net ahead, right? Again, give me a break.

edit: Wait, you have another thread started about not having 250 hours PIC to get your ATP. It doesn't sound like you are gearing up for a pay cut.

I meant jet FO to prop FO. I have no interest in upgrading into a prop. There's no way I want to upgrade into an airplane I have zero time, at an unfamiliar base, with a brand new green FO. Maybe if I already had my ATP, I might go for it when fence allows. But I do not want my first type ride to be in a completely unfamiliar airplane I've never flown before.

And as for displacements, I know this vacancy won't cause displacements. However, my fear is next year when the Saabs are parked, the resulting reductions will mean Mesaba Saab Captains will bid Jet Captains, and because it's not a result of the SLI, instead, it's a result of the reductions. So, those guys (like you? Seven?) will bid jet Captain positions and you will hold whatever seniority allows you. Because Pinnacle has only 541 fenced protections, those 541 positions existed in Summer 2010 when we hadn't upgraded for 2 years. Today we have 600+ CRJ-200 Captains. Worse case scenario is all the bottom new Captain upgrades at Pinnacle will be forced out of the left seat, and into the right seat of the RJ. They can't go to the Q because of the fence. We can lose all our Captain seats on the -200 all the way to a minimum of just 541 slots. I think the future sucks more for junior Pinnacle Captains than it does for Mesaba Saab Captains. That having been said bri, give me a break.

You've convinced yourself that you know the specific definition of "announced" and who is able to do the announcing. I'm not sold on the idea that the list has been announced yet.

I think the transition from Mesaba jet to pinnacle jet is about a 3 week program plus OE.
Either way, time will tell. Those with a chance to move/upgrade should prepare their pref bids accordingly.

I only know what you all have said about 9E training. At XJ, a requal or differences would be done in about 4 days.

I only know what you all have said about 9E training. At XJ, a requal or differences would be done in about 4 days.

This isn't requal or differences training. You will be qualifying under a new training program for a different airline that is overseen by a different FSDO. This is no different that you quitting Mesaba and going to work for another airline. Coincidentally, that's what you'll be doing. Welcome to Pinnacle!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back