Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Kream926 said:
ive always loved the automated ones

Speaking of, I've been doing a fair amount ATL-YUL flights lately and it sounds like they use an automated voice in Montreal. The difference I noticed is that in Montreal it actually sounds like a human voice, not the Battlestar Gallactica Ceylon ATIS we have in ATL.

Is that really and automated voice in YUL (or just a Canadien incapable of inflection) and why can't we get a system like that in the U.S.?

Gentlemen; Thank you for the input. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who's annoyed by the rapid-fire ATIS'.
Cutlass1287:
I am an ATP, not a student.
I am not on "sauce" as you put it.
You do not specify your flight experience; we all know why. You are the only aviator in the thread who feels that this is not a safety concern. Flying high performance jets in and out of New York airspace while the weather is low, is a lot different from your single engine, VFR world. By reading your illucid comments, I'm can tell that you are a horrible pilot, and will fail miserably in this industry: that has my blessings. I only hope I'll be nearby to witness it.
Do NOT respond to my threads any longer.
Captain4242

Captain,

Cutlass1287 is a 16 or 17 year old kid trying to get his PVT.. Try and ignore is ignorance.

Oh yeah that one - next time try:
"N'yrkaprchChek'spresswi'yatenferfivewi'zlu" in 1.4 seconds flat, and when approach says, "Huh?" say 'Oh, sorry. Was that too fast?' A good break-the-ice way to lead into the topic of the speed of their non-automated atis recording. Or you could just mention that the gerbils are spinning the atis wheel a bit too quickly, quit feedin them so much.

Getting the atis again should not be a big problem when it is readable... heck you can start hearing it over 100 miles out. Even at 500kts that should be plenty of time! (unless you are doing really short hops)

The automated ones often sound like Arnold Schwarzenegger with a mouf fuw offf k'tton, so I don't think they are much better.

I have taken to trying to get the field asos each flight; much more current info on the field conditions, but the fqys are not as well advertised.

shamrock said:
Is that really and automated voice in YUL (or just a Canadien incapable of inflection) and why can't we get a system like that in the U.S.?

It's French Canadian. They always do things better.....

Loved the comment about the Battlestar Galactica - Ceylon voice. LOL

Last edited:
Deleted

Last edited:
I struck up a conversation with a tower guy in the waiting room while getting my medical a few years ago, and asked him the same question.

He said that some of the old ATIS machines have a tape loop that only gives them so much time to read the METAR, NOTAMs, etc., and sometimes with a lot of info the tape keeps cutting them off as they're recording it. So finally they get pissed at the machine and dictate it really fast.

Just bring it up on ACARS. You can even print it out and read it as many times as you like.

Wait till your are flying out of the country and the control reads the ATIS with a heavy (insert accent here) accent.
I have asked one of the controlers in JFK to give me the WX 'cause i couldn't understand the speed-talker on ATIS. The made a joke and gave the WX...no biggie. After that I never heard a speed-talker again.

Have you ever expereinced the gnd controllers in ORD or DFW during a push..dam....if i didnt already know what they were gonna say, I would have probably been lost.

Hey cutlASS......shut the hell up !!!!!, why don't you get out of your flying suit, take off your flying helmet, unscrew your sweaty hands off of the yoke, un-strap your E6B off of your wrist........and LISTEN to what all these guys have to say because you still have a LOT to learn about flying !!!

Latest resources

Back