• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

When are the Saabs leaving at Mesaba?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It seems to me the Mesaba SF-340 leases were for 18 years starting from sometime in the early 1990's (I'm sure someone can find it on-line, I have no inclination)..The airline industry was booming, and I recall being disappointed that such long-term leases were signed...At the time, the regional jet was new and "taking over" the industry...Who would have thought in that time of cheap oil that the Saab's would survive the "RJ revolution" and maintain their niche....Personally, I feel that we will see $100/barrel oil before we see $90/barrel again, simply reinforcing the niche of an aging aircraft in a failing industry...

Weren't the leases re-signed in the Airlink Agreement of 1998?

It seems to me the Mesaba SF-340 leases were for 18 years starting from sometime in the early 1990's (I'm sure someone can find it on-line, I have no inclination)..The airline industry was booming, and I recall being disappointed that such long-term leases were signed...At the time, the regional jet was new and "taking over" the industry...Who would have thought in that time of cheap oil that the Saab's would survive the "RJ revolution" and maintain their niche....Personally, I feel that we will see $100/barrel oil before we see $90/barrel again, simply reinforcing the niche of an aging aircraft in a failing industry...

Your time frame is a bit off. Mesaba received their first "A" model Saab in 1996. The "A's" have since moved on and we only have "B+" models that we received new. The oldest one on the property is 402XJ which was received new in October 1996. Our newest is 457XJ delivered 12-31-98. As far as the airlines being booming in the early 90's, I sure don't remember it that way. But then again maybe that's because I was CFI'ing for years and years because the airlines were not hiring.

What's so interesting to me is watching the "RJ Boom" kill the new turboprop market (Saab 2000 as an example) and now seeing how well the Q400 is doing around the world since it's really the only viable turboprop transport. Who'd of thought we'd see a Tprop resurgance?

Geeeez..the Bates motel is STILL there?? dig around and you might find the old Simmons crew car lying around...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back