Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Future SNA

KILL
Just curious as to what everyone's opinion is on the Cessna Caravan. Meaning, do YOU consider it quality time, being SE and all? I personally think Single-Pilot Night 135+Turbine looks pretty good, and with todays industry, hey, I took what I could get, which at the time wasn't much. Just wondering how much of the next 10 months of my life is going to be considered a waste. It was pretty much this or flight instruct, with little to no opportunities to use that frigain MEI I paid 1K to get. And for future reference, I LOVE the van, it is as natural a progression as you can get from a C-172, just faster, a bit more complex, and pretty much just a blast to fly.

The Caravan isn't bad, and the time you are building can't be bad that being that it is single pilot, turbine PIC, and if you are flying it in the ice and **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** weather makes it even better. I see you are flying on a UPS route, who are you flying for, and what route do you fly? Just a side not I do like my Beech99 better then the Caravan.

Nice plane..

I got to fly the Caravan in NC and absolutely loved it. Good AP, avionics and great safety record. Be carefull in icing conditions so just sit back an enjoy the ride.:D

Future SNA,
I love that airplane. Refer to some post that I and some other's made under "Martinaire" on page 2. I would never talk someone out of working on the 208. It was the best decision I ever made.
Jimbo ;)

I agree...

Overall I agree, most of the other cargo operators around here are single-engine piston/no autopilot/no radar/no ice protection/or they are commander's....which I have heard good and bad things about, so I'm happy with the choice I made, seeing as I didn't have to leave my home state. Anyways, I fly for Planemaster's, my route is here in KS, extremely cake run, salaried position, about 50 or so flying hours per month which isn't a ton, but then again I never busted my butt flight instructing in an attempt to fly 1200/year, so this is right up my alley! We get all sorts of weather here in KS, was VFR for the first MONTH I flew, was craving for at least some clouds, then I got pounded in a thin line of storms, and at the same time slowing and receiving a holding clearance, so after that I decided, "maybe just a LiTtLe weather would be nice!" Still debating whether or not to accept my future in Naval Aviation, hence the name. Would like to have a family someday with a wife who isn't going to get left at home for 6 months, but we'll see I guess?

1. Total time is TOTAL TIME

2. Single pilot all weather 135 is a great learning experience noone with an opinion worth a crap can knock that.

3. PIC Turbine time.... YES, good. (most majors dont count the Caravan for thier pic-turbine requirements but hey... Southwest does and they may be the only major thats around in 10 years! )

The only thing... i think pretty much everyone appreciates is Instrument instructing. You really learn the most teaching. Its a well accepted fact, but it only goes so far before you're just doing the same ole thing again and again... Ideally if you could have instructed instruments for awhile first that would have been best... BUT taking the job you did in my opinion was the right move...50 hours a month with (probably) better pay than the commuters?... congrats.

but wait... did you say the navy? these days a 6 year stint in the military sounds awesome... just today at my company three different guys were talking about thier military retirement checks that came in on the 1st... man! im jealous.

Have no fear.....

Oh, have no fear, just before I got this job, I believe I toppled the 1000 Dual Given mark, so like many of the other souls on here, I did my fair share of instructing. In fact, I still instruct, on the side, I have 4 instruments students, and I will agree whole heartedly with what you said, teaching instruments made me the instrument pilot I am today.......be it good or bad:)

As for the Navy, well I have 90 days to decide, it was just like sending out resume's, I thought I'll apply for every job I can, and while I'm at it, I'll send one to the Navy also, was a like-long dream of mine anyways. Yeah, serving even my full stint would only put me around 39 when I retire, and that's plenty of time to do more civilian flying. I hear helo drivers only have a 6 year commitment, longer for fixed-wing, but who wants to drive a chopper? Wouldn't be all that bad I guess.

And last I'd heard, both Fed-Ex and UPS counted Caravan time towards their only requirement, 1000 Turbine PIC, at least that's what a Fed-Ex driver told me?!

hm... a few fed ex guys told me that they say single engine turbine is ok but it has to be over 12,500# (they added this clause it seems to deliberately exclude caravans). might be worth a call to the company...

Xfr8dog said:
hm... a few fed ex guys told me that they say single engine turbine is ok but it has to be over 12,500# (they added this clause it seems to deliberately exclude caravans). might be worth a call to the company...

Is there a single engine turbine airplane that wieghs over 12,500 pounds??

Jim

Latest resources

Back