whats the name for?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The T-45 isn't mentioned here.

I'd like to mention it is excellent for cross countries. It has OBOGS, can use various types of fuel, doesn't need an external starter and can cruise at 410 for long legs.

Chill

eagleb2skipper said:
Yeah-that's it!
I guess the skin thins out a bit when you make the jump from Eagles to B-2s. I thought Magnum had a great retort to your jab. If you can't take it, don't dish it. Especially in this crowd!:beer:

The condensation trail emitted by jet aircraft exhaust are called contrails. Contrails form when hot humid air from jet exhaust mixes with environmental air of low vapor pressure and low temperature. The mixing is a result of turbulence generated by the engine exhaust. Cloud formation by a mixing process is similar to the cloud you see when you exhale and "see your breath".

The correct term for those vapors is "BFM spooge".

Wow, with all the military testosterone in this thread, I have the strange urge to play a game of volleyball. Mav, Iceman, Goose...you guys in?

Gorilla said:
Back when the Gipper was president, we had an F-15C squadronmate move to the aggressors when they first started flying -16's. When he returned to the squadron as a Gomer, we dragged him into a briefing room, and asked "Give it up. What's the real story of F-15 vs F-16?"

He thought for a moment, and replied, "Any seasoned pilot who loses a turning fight in an F-16 doesn't know what he's doing. But if I have a choice as to which jet I'd fly into combat, it'd be the F-15 without a doubt."

The early hornets were relatively easy to kill. Avoid a high-aoa environment and he's yours. Any fighter has strengths. You use yours, and deny the other guy his. F-15's own the pre-merge environment, but it requires excellent and disciplined teamwork in the flight. F-16's own any sustained turning fight. Hornets will kill you in a scissors or any high AOA tussle. Note the Tom-Grape is nowhere in this list.

I don't know about the Raptor, it probably owns everybody in all environments. :D

Anytime we come in for the break on a humid day or get the chance to cloud-surf, the standard call is "Nice vapes" -- unless you just did a fly-by for a NASCAR event. Then the question from Joe Public (imagine a deep Alabama drawl here) is "Hey man, how you make that smoke come off them wings?"

As for the "Tom-Grape" comment, you're talking about an airplane designed in the 60's that was two generations ahead of its peers at the time. Flying the Tomcat well is an art form, and it takes several hundred hours of experience and a lot of recent proficiency to hone that skill. Typically, when good Tomcat pilots get into a Hornet, they do better because of more ingrained air-sense. The fact is, in most cases it's not about the aircraft, it's about the skill of the pilot. I've seen F-16CG guys grape around at 7Gs in a level circle and get gunned in 90 seconds, and I've seen Reserve F-5 drivers smack around fleet guys in a Hornet. But I've never seen anything point its nose like a Raptor.

S-Fly

It IS the pilot and we all know it. When vipers/eagles/hornets mix it up in like configurations, whoever is more experienced, more current, more skilled, or just plain having a better day will usually win the engagement. It's just fun to say "my johnson is bigger than your johnson." All in good fun.

MAGNUM!! said:
It's just fun to say "my johnson is bigger than your johnson." All in good fun.

Very true. That's 3/4 of the fun to belonging to a community. Unless you drive A-10's.

"Weeeelll, when we 'circled da hawgs', there's no way you guys were going to get a shot off. We had each other covered."

"Uh, how about that AIM-7 in your face from 5 miles?"

"Awwww shoot, everyone knows the AIM-7 ain't worth crap. That was a look down shot, podner, the missile would have shacked a gopher."

"Ohhhh, Kay." ;)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back