whats the name for?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MAGNUM!! said:
There is a reason the YF-18 lost the fly-off to the YF-16.

And that reason is that it was more expensive and had too many engines. It certainly wasn't performance based. Ask anyone who has flown both(current hornet, not YF).

The 16 certainly get's up and goes, but doesn't turn like a raped ape like the hornet does. Similarly configured there is no contest.

So you are saying that the viper can out-point the hornet...nice try. It sure goes a heck of a lot faster(and quicker too). I'm not saying one's better, if you want speed, take the viper, but it can't turn to save it's life...ok, that's an overstatment. If you disagree, then you've never done dis-similar.

And yes, to the first poster, they are called vapes.

Problem with the Viper is the AOA limit. Once you get a Viper guy off his game plan and slowed down a little, then you move for the kill...

I believe the competition was between the YF-17 and the YF-16. The F-16 won primarily for long term cost (savings) reasons (one engine, etc). The FA-18 is a bit of a different animal than the original YF-17.

FNG_that's me said:
So you are saying that the viper can out-point the hornet...nice try. It sure goes a heck of a lot faster(and quicker too). I'm not saying one's better, if you want speed, take the viper, but it can't turn to save it's life...ok, that's an overstatment. If you disagree, then you've never done dis-similar.

And yes, to the first poster, they are called vapes.

Boy, I've got more dissimilar BFM engagements than you have carrier landings. Flown BFM against F-18s (and so-called superhornets), F-15Cs, F-15Es, F-14s, F-4s, MiG-29s, and F-22s. Only one of those airplanes has every out-rated me in a 2 circle fight, and I'm sure you can guess which one it is. As to your statement above, you didn't say anything about "out-point." You said out-turn. No, the Hornet cannot hold up against a viper in a rate fight. Radius fight, the Hornet has some advantages (namely no AOA limiter like I got). Of course, if you don't get the gun shot or the offensive after that first high aspect pass in a one-circle fight, you're done if the viper guy has kept any knots. Especially against a block 50.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3897/is_200306/ai_n9262073/pg_10

MAGNUM!! said:
Boy, I've got more dissimilar BFM engagements than you have carrier landings. Flown BFM against F-18s (and so-called superhornets), F-15Cs, F-15Es, F-14s, F-4s, MiG-29s, and F-22s. Only one of those airplanes has every out-rated me in a 2 circle fight, and I'm sure you can guess which one it is. As to your statement above, you didn't say anything about "out-point." You said out-turn. No, the Hornet cannot hold up against a viper in a rate fight. Radius fight, the Hornet has some advantages (namely no AOA limiter like I got). Of course, if you don't get the gun shot or the offensive after that first high aspect pass in a one-circle fight, you're done if the viper guy has kept any knots. Especially against a block 50.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3897/is_200306/ai_n9262073/pg_10

Wow you must be good.

Back when the Gipper was president, we had an F-15C squadronmate move to the aggressors when they first started flying -16's. When he returned to the squadron as a Gomer, we dragged him into a briefing room, and asked "Give it up. What's the real story of F-15 vs F-16?"

He thought for a moment, and replied, "Any seasoned pilot who loses a turning fight in an F-16 doesn't know what he's doing. But if I have a choice as to which jet I'd fly into combat, it'd be the F-15 without a doubt."

The early hornets were relatively easy to kill. Avoid a high-aoa environment and he's yours. Any fighter has strengths. You use yours, and deny the other guy his. F-15's own the pre-merge environment, but it requires excellent and disciplined teamwork in the flight. F-16's own any sustained turning fight. Hornets will kill you in a scissors or any high AOA tussle. Note the Tom-Grape is nowhere in this list.

I don't know about the Raptor, it probably owns everybody in all environments. :D

Heck, I'd be a giddy school boy flying any of those. Darn eye sight! If I equip this 210 turbo for combat, can we play some time?

Gorilla said:
Back when the Gipper was president, we had an F-15C squadronmate move to the aggressors when they first started flying -16's. When he returned to the squadron as a Gomer, we dragged him into a briefing room, and asked "Give it up. What's the real story of F-15 vs F-16?"

He thought for a moment, and replied, "Any seasoned pilot who loses a turning fight in an F-16 doesn't know what he's doing. But if I have a choice as to which jet I'd fly into combat, it'd be the F-15 without a doubt."

The early hornets were relatively easy to kill. Avoid a high-aoa environment and he's yours. Any fighter has strengths. You use yours, and deny the other guy his. F-15's own the pre-merge environment, but it requires excellent and disciplined teamwork in the flight. F-16's own any sustained turning fight. Hornets will kill you in a scissors or any high AOA tussle. Note the Tom-Grape is nowhere in this list.

I don't know about the Raptor, it probably owns everybody in all environments. :D

Get the F-15 to a merge and then watch him over g the airplane as he tries to hold off the Hornet...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back