What's the latest at Mesa?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
alpas' view

Mesa Bankruptcy Update The Mesa Air Group made it clear in its Chapter 11 filing last month that excess aircraft—not labor—was the problem. After nearly eight weeks, everything filed by Mesa in the bankruptcy court seems to be consistent with that position and with Mesa’s stated desire to exit bankruptcy in a reasonable time frame. In what appears to be an early step in the company’s restructuring plan, the rejection of aircraft associated with some CRJ-200 leases can be expected. This is a result of the code-share agreement with United concerning these aircraft not being renewed past May 2010; however, Mesa’s code-share agreement with United provides for continued CRJ-700 flying at least through 2013. As for the code-share agreement with Delta, litigation concerning ERJs and claims about rate disputes and a most-favored-nation clause will be transferred to the bankruptcy court, and a trial will is scheduled to begin July 12. The litigation concerning ERJs and claims about alleged performance will remain in the Georgia court, where a trial is scheduled on April 20. The company also reached a settlement agreement with Raytheon covering the return of 20 Beech 1900s parked since AMW shut down. This agreement removes approximately $32 million of debt from Mesa’s balance sheet.
On the labor front, there has been no indication that the company plans to seek concessions from the pilots or reject their labor agreement; nevertheless, the MAG MEC is fully prepared to defend against such actions. The MEC is also engaged in active negotiations with the company to secure additional contract improvements and reach advantageous grievance settlements. For example, the MEC recently settled three pay-related grievances that—combined with the pilots’ new, progressive contract—will generate nearly $3.2 million in value for the pilot group each year (as compared to pilot pay calculated without scheduled/actual and without line guarantees). This agreement is subject to approval pursuant to certain general settlement procedures that were just approved by the bankruptcy court.

Some interesting information that might help guide Mesa pilots.

http://en.tackfilm.se/?id=1267930674179RA72

They're probably just having the usual Mesa wet dream of the day when they find out they've been stapled to the bottom of Skywest or Republic. Meanwhile, I'm not sure they really care what happens to their company. Did I hit it the nail on the head Mesa pylots?

They're probably just having the usual Mesa wet dream of the day when they find out they've been stapled to the bottom of Skywest or Republic. Meanwhile, I'm not sure they really care what happens to their company. Did I hit it the nail on the head Mesa pylots?

The only thing that could be better than watching mesa get flushed is watching go jets and every scum sucking azz wipe working for them getting put out of work!

Mesa Bankruptcy Update The Mesa Air Group made it clear in its Chapter 11 filing last month that excess aircraft—not labor—was the problem. After nearly eight weeks, everything filed by Mesa in the bankruptcy court seems to be consistent with that position and with Mesa’s stated desire to exit bankruptcy in a reasonable time frame. In what appears to be an early step in the company’s restructuring plan, the rejection of aircraft associated with some CRJ-200 leases can be expected. This is a result of the code-share agreement with United concerning these aircraft not being renewed past May 2010; however, Mesa’s code-share agreement with United provides for continued CRJ-700 flying at least through 2013. As for the code-share agreement with Delta, litigation concerning ERJs and claims about rate disputes and a most-favored-nation clause will be transferred to the bankruptcy court, and a trial will is scheduled to begin July 12. The litigation concerning ERJs and claims about alleged performance will remain in the Georgia court, where a trial is scheduled on April 20. The company also reached a settlement agreement with Raytheon covering the return of 20 Beech 1900s parked since AMW shut down. This agreement removes approximately $32 million of debt from Mesa’s balance sheet.
On the labor front, there has been no indication that the company plans to seek concessions from the pilots or reject their labor agreement; nevertheless, the MAG MEC is fully prepared to defend against such actions. The MEC is also engaged in active negotiations with the company to secure additional contract improvements and reach advantageous grievance settlements. For example, the MEC recently settled three pay-related grievances that—combined with the pilots’ new, progressive contract—will generate nearly $3.2 million in value for the pilot group each year (as compared to pilot pay calculated without scheduled/actual and without line guarantees). This agreement is subject to approval pursuant to certain general settlement procedures that were just approved by the bankruptcy court.

Someone from Mesa correct me if I am wrong, but they CAN'T claim that labor is the problem because Delta accused Mesa of improper staffing and Mesa has maintained all along in court that that was not the case.

Someone from Mesa correct me if I am wrong, but they CAN'T claim that labor is the problem because Delta accused Mesa of improper staffing and Mesa has maintained all along in court that that was not the case.

We can and we should expect MAG to file an 1113 motion to reject the ALPA contract. The creditors committee will require it as a condition of the POR and a potential contract exptension with Airways.

The reality is that the company and ALPA will agree to concessions in the 10-15% range. That is $10 - $15 million savings per year for 4-5 years. Translation? At 6 times EBITDA that is $90 million in value and nobody will just leave that on the table

My 2 cents

We can and we should expect MAG to file an 1113 motion to reject the ALPA contract. The creditors committee will require it as a condition of the POR and a potential contract exptension with Airways.

The reality is that the company and ALPA will agree to concessions in the 10-15% range. That is $10 - $15 million savings per year for 4-5 years. Translation? At 6 times EBITDA that is $90 million in value and nobody will just leave that on the table

My 2 cents

If you guys accept a 10-15% pay cut it, well I don't know what.

No more pay cuts, didn't you guys get that message?

How much less can you be paid? Mesa needs to go away if you guys are already talking pay cuts. You're a detriment to all pilots both union and non-union.

My 2 cents

Oh lord I hope you guys would never vote in pay cuts

Oh lord I hope you guys would never vote in pay cuts

The problem will NOT be the pilots "voting: for pay cuts. As I understand it, if MAG wins an 1113 motion the judge will grant the right for MAG to reject the contract and impose new pay rates and work rules.

The pilots may never have a chance to vote on it. What is worse, the judge may also prevent MAG pilots from seeking self help, ie they lose the right to strike. Look what happened to Comair Flight attendants.

If/when this happens I hope nobody blames the MAG pilots.

The problem will NOT be the pilots "voting: for pay cuts. As I understand it, if MAG wins an 1113 motion the judge will grant the right for MAG to reject the contract and impose new pay rates and work rules.

The pilots may never have a chance to vote on it. What is worse, the judge may also prevent MAG pilots from seeking self help, ie they lose the right to strike. Look what happened to Comair Flight attendants.

If/when this happens I hope nobody blames the MAG pilots.

It is EXTREMELY difficult for a company to be granted authority to impose contract terms through the 1113c process. The threat of getting a contract rejected is what brings labor to the negotiating table and in nearly all cases a consensual outcome on a restructured labor contract is reached.

Latest resources

Back