• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Whats the fuss over?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One of the reasons JB does seem to get quite a bit of attention is that the company has a very interesting leadership philosophy. It is called "servant leadership" where the leaders focus on serving the employees (Crewmembers) rather than the other way around. This is a growing concept in many successful companies, but is a foreign concept in the airline industry, with the obvious exception of Southwest and to some extent Alaska. (There may be others, but I have not familiar with any).

It is a company based on principles and values rather than policies. There is a very big difference. Innovation is unleashed in such an environment, while it is stifled in the more traditional employment relationship.

I'm not saying that this style of company is the cat's meow for everyone. In fact, just the opposite. One of the reasons JB seems to get such passionate debate is because many pilots are not comfortable living in a corporate environment that thrives on "out of the box" thinking. Lets face it, most of us like stable jobs, stable paychecks, stable schedules and control over it all. A work relationship based on "trust" doesn't work for most.

Those at JB, including myself, don't mind innovative changes, as long as we have faith in the leadership, which we do. All this comes down to "servant leadership." This is a very foreign concept to many, thus the heated debates.

Many outside the airline industry are beginning look at the business model, philosophy and leadership style at Jetblue as the wave of the future in corporate america. Again, this causes much debate. Anytime a company steps outside the normal accepted way of doing things, it inspires heated discussion.

I enjoy watching it from the inside.

Does all this mean that JB is better than the rest? Or a better place to work? No, it just means that we are different. People on the outside do not like difference. That is human nature.

Skirt

Last edited:
Wow! That's great stuff Skirt. Now I know all that I'm really glad I'm here.

Didn't know any of it before joining. I had heard that there were crewmeals (I came from American Eagle), then the deal was sealed when I learnt that the hiring process involved no simulator check or tricky technical questions about airplanes you are flying. Whoo Ho!! Maybe I stand me a chance!!

The fuss should really be about how mind-bendingly bad most other airlines are. AMRon, for one, has a poisonious deeply sick corporate culture. At JetBlue caring adults structure the airline so we can fly folks around the country safely and comfortably with respect and trust and fun. Ain't so bad.

Last edited:
have a nice day.

Last edited:
skirt said:
on "trust" doesn't work for most. I know I didn't trust my previous airline leaders one bit.

Skirt ,
While i think you have the biggest balls on this forum you should have a little more respect for UAL:

Which airline has the most women pilots?
United Airlines has the most women pilots with 68 Captains, 401 First Officers and 44 Second Officers for a total of 513. The total seniority list is about 8800 pilots.

Some day you will tell us why you left a 150k job at UAL to go to JB for 50K.

Race,

I haven't a clue what the stats on women pilots has to do with this thread, nor am I interested.

As for trust and respect. Come on now. Does seamless agreement, mean anything to you? How about the number 570 (hostages in negotiations that were lied to)? How about 2172 (furloughees under a non-furlough clause)? Does a failed ESOP mean anything? How about the bankruptcy and your lost stock? Is "grieve it" a proper response to a contract violation? How many violations are there anyway in any given year.

No I did not trust leadership at my former employer. Doesn't mean they were bad people (in fact most weren't), I just didn't trust 'em, and I certainly wasn't inspired by the bureaucracy. The constant Arab-Israeli style animousity between two sides seems to never end, no matter who is in charge. We tried the soft-fuzzy style during the ESOP, and lasted about a year. Before that, you have to go back to Pat Patterson (CEO in the 60's) to find a guy who deserved to be trusted. I doubt it will ever change at good ol' UAL, though I wish it would for my many friends still there. Simple as that. As for me, my philosophy is that there is more to life than a W2.

To be honest, I think Skygod said it better, and much less esoteric than me:

The fuss should really be about how mind-bendingly bad most other airlines are. AMRon, for one, has a poisonious deeply sick corporate culture. At JetBlue caring adults structure the airline so we can fly folks around the country safely and comfortably with respect and trust and fun. Ain't so bad.

I think I've said enough.

Skirt

Last edited:
I've flown with skirt and can say she's an outstanding aviator and also an incredible person with great conviction for the airline industry. In her short time here at JBLU, she's already having an impact on the pilot group with her active contributions to several committees and special projects. In all, if there is a buzz in this airline, call it blue koolaid, it's because of the superb caliber of people like skirt that ply the blue skies.

Their stock is down by more than 50% in the past 6 months. Profits are down. They are going to start flying RJ's next year.

Stock price is a silly comparison these days. The price went way up since the company was a media darling. If you compare P/E ratios, it still trades at a premium compared to other airline stocks. Doesn't mean much about the company. What's your company stock price?

A better evaluation would be industry awards. I think Jet Blue got a few of those haven't they?

Also, doesn't the EMB-190 only hold a few less than a 717? Does that mean AirTran is an RJ operator?

But you weren't trying to flame bait............

Catfish

JBLU has been doing relatively well and managed to post a 1st quarter net income of $15.2M, which in and of itself is good considering the state of the industry. In reviewing their 8-k filing although their operating margin fell 4.6% year over year they still managed to post an 11.3% operating margin, which is great. What really jumped out at me that would have caused their margin to drop by over a third is a 275% increase in maintenance materials and repair. The increase in maintenance costs alone account for an additional $9m in expenses for the quarter, which is a significant increase when you are posting $15M in profits.

My question for anyone who would know is, what caused JBLU's maintenance costs to jump up 275% year over year and is this just a one time deal or are maintenance costs going to continue to increase at triple digit rates?

Latest resources

Back