Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What's the dumbest question you've been asked as a pilot?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Its amazing the number of pilots who are afraid of heights. Until about a year ago I thought it was just me. In fact I had someone today talk to me about that. He assumed I wasn't because I was a pilot.

My friend was a glider aerobatic competitor yet he was very scared of heights. His doctor said something about "no physical contact with the ground" when flying which would fool his brain. Amazing aerobatic glider champion, yet I had to help him paint the upper portion of his house, he wouldn’t even attempt to get up on the ladder.

Then again, maybe he just wanted me to paint his house? lol

We had a guy in 2006 in IND ask us how he could buy an Eastern Airlines ticket to Florida.

I won't bother reading all these pages, but I know where this is going and what your intent is.

But it's the report on Iraqi WMD's, Mr. President!

(Oy! Now I know how that stuff happens!)

I find it fascinating when pilots tend to 'put down' non-pilots.

Then you should read all the threads. 95% of the stuff on this Forum is pilots putting down each other or themselves. There's an entire thread abouit a guy that divulged a stupid mistake he made that led to a violation! Youi think I'm gonna read that on a surgeon's chat board? "Dude! I totally cut off this chick's good leg by mistake!"

Lot of what we know, and consider, routine is something absolutely NEW to a non-pilot.

Do tell. Maybe that's why the home page doesn't encourage plumbers and aluminum siding salesmen to log on for insightful chat about their professions.

For instance, in a recent conversation with new college-graduate, I discovered that he thought that Ramp Agents who marshal aircraft in to gates are part of Air Traffic Control. Others thought that the Tower controls all traffic in the US, and most passengers think that Flight Attendants are there to provide food and drinks ONLY.

Whaaaaat? You mean they don't? (That should definately be in our manual somewhere!)

Doesn’t mean that these people are stupid. But your questions is implying the same and soliciting response to that effect.

It's professional banter. Cops do it. Doctors do it. Lawyers do it. Plumbers do it. Academics do it. Ambulance drivers do it. It's not intended, or conducted, in a setting that can be construed as "public". If it was...I don't think the average airline passenger would be surprised at some of the questions and comments from their fellow travelers. Leno, Letterman, O'Brien, and even the Reader's Digest pump out more stupid questions and comments stuff than you'll ever see here. (YourPilotFriend notwithstanding)

I’m sure somewhere on the net there's a thread on a Surgeon/Physicians board with a question: What's the dumbest question you've been asked BY a pilot?

I hope so! I think it'd be frickin' hilarious! Pilots probably generate some of the lamest questions doctors ever hear. (If you can link to any, you'd count much coup among those of us who don't mind being the butt of the joke.)

Start a thread about the dumbest thing a pilot's ever said to a doctor and I think it's be good for 5-pages!

I'll start: I asked my female flight surgeon in Pensacola "When will the doctor get here?"

Start a thread about the dumbest thing a pilot's ever said to a doctor and I think it's be good for 5-pages!

During one of my FAA medical exams I had to look through the electronic version of the “eye chart” and the doc told me to close my left eye and let him know which line on the “chart” I could see? I said, hmm… I don't see anything? He replied; it'll help if you close your "other" left eye instead.

Not quite the doctors office, but the vet:

Doc: What have you been feeding him?
Me: Chopped liver
Doc: Human chopped liver?
Me: No, I think it's beef.
Doc: (speechless)

Back to topic:

Terminal bathroom, me mid-stream long one. Tug on my shirt "excuse me, sir." I ignore it, thinking to my self, what the hell? Four seconds later a tug on my collar followed by another "excuse me sir." Turn my head and firmly said "hang on a second, I'll be done shortly!" Shake, zip up turn around to walk to the sink to wash up, and this 30ish aged Yuppie totally violating my space bubble, less than a foot behind me looming over my shoulder.

Him: Do you know Where Jackson is?
Me Looking quite PO'ed: Yeah it's in Mississippi.
Him: Do you know how to get there? Flashing his boarding pass.
Me: Go to I-20 and go East.
Him: Are you sure?
Me: Yup.
Him: Turned and walked away.

Oh I was mad, it's one thing fathom a million stupid Q's but the audacity of that guy just Chapped my Azz!

A couple more:

PAX head in Cockpit: This is a small plane
Me: Get a bigger airport!

Another Time
PAX head in Cockpit again: This is a smaller plane than the one that used to do this same route.
Capt: When you start paying for your tickets again it will get bigger.

All time favorite:
PAX severly berating gate agent over delay on a typical ORD Winter day. (She must of had been dealing with him a couple times already)
Gate Agent: Sir If I could chew up a few beer cans and ******************** you an airplane I would, but for now you need to sit down and wait for the arrival. One more outburst and I am calling Security.

Laughed all the way to Ops

When pax say "this plane is small" I just say they get smaller.

I had one f/a call us out of sterile:

F/a- Can I use the lav

me- you don't have to ask us for permission

f/a- but the seatbelt sign is still on

Anther time when we asked for the pax count the f/a proudly said 12 on the right and 15 on the left.

Heyas,

Flying out of a EAS town one day. Lady gets on and proudly exclaims that "this is the smallest plane I've ever been on", to which I replied "Well, this is the smallest town I've ever been to, so I guess we're even".

Got written up for that one...totally worth it, though...

Nu

Latest resources

Back