Whats next for ASA????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
GO AROUND said:
I never denied it and neither has anyone in the MEC that I have asked. I understood why they started slow. Doesn't change the fact that they were negotiating nevertheless. You spin it like they didn't negotiate at all and the company was. They made progress in that first year and who knew the industry would stay in the toilet so long. Oh, I guess you did? right?

Actually I predicted things would get worse. That being said, look at the MEC spokesperson Bizjet above. He claims that the MEC never tried to drag things out. That is an outright lie. Having opinions of whether or not that was the way to go is fine, but to deny it is an outright lie.

John Pennekamp said:
We agree on the problem, but not the solution. WHAT'S THE SOLUTION?

Shall we go non union all together?
Shall we start our own union?

What's the answer, John?

I have given my ideas of the solution, but your crowd doesn't like them and says they impossible.

1. Stop the bleeding. Don't allow anymore outsourcing - whatever the cost. Don't create more alter-ego carriers at lower costs. The NWA MEC just created yet ANOTHER alter-ego carrier that will have lower costs than ASA. That doensn't help.

2. Push for single lists between subsidiary companies.

3. Work towards national seniority list and minimum contract standards to take pilot cost competition away.

4. Push for higher FAA standards for 121 pilots. The current standards are inadequate. Being able to take someone from 0 time to 121 FO in 10-12 months doesn't put us in the same league as other professionals, and undermines our bargaining leverage.

5. If none the above is possible according to ALPA, then it is time to start a new union - one that can acctually accomplish something.

JoeMerchant said:
I have given my ideas of the solution, but your crowd doesn't like them and says they impossible.

1. Stop the bleeding. Don't allow anymore outsourcing - whatever the cost. Don't create more alter-ego carriers at lower costs. The NWA MEC just created yet ANOTHER alter-ego carrier that will have lower costs than ASA. That doensn't help.

2. Push for single lists between subsidiary companies.

3. Work towards national seniority list and minimum contract standards to take pilot cost competition away.

4. Push for higher FAA standards for 121 pilots. The current standards are inadequate. Being able to take someone from 0 time to 121 FO in 10-12 months doesn't put us in the same league as other professionals, and undermines our bargaining leverage.

5. If none the above is possible according to ALPA, then it is time to start a new union - one that can acctually accomplish something.

Folks, let me translate this for you:

1. First, take a pay cut and undercut all the other DCI carriers to secure the flying. Then Inclusive Scope, RJDC style... we fly 777s for $50 per hour.

2. MEC should file a single carrier petition... Joe Merchant is hoping it will cause ALPA to get voted off the property.

3. Steal seniority from pilots hired at mainline after him. Bid their airplanes.

4. Promote one's self ego by creating barriers to entry in the profession. Make being an airline pilot something special again, like it was when I startred (wait, this one isn't a bad idea).

5. Sour grapes. Every argument seems to blame the world on ALPA. ALPA is most definitely an evil empire, but it's the best option we have. Starting a union isn't as easy as Joe would have you believe. I've been there... he has not.

Latest resources

Back