What's in a title?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Funny you should ask.

Story goes that I take a few classes here and there trying to better myself. I have a class that the instructor was PIC er. Captain of a 737 operator. His email correspondence with me has the title Captain. I was commenting on it when my wife chimed in on my conversation with myself. So I thought I would toss flightinfo.com a softball to see what everyone else thought.

Guess I am not the only one that thinks this is an improper use of a title. I have too many hobbies, right now I am making a peltier fan to sit on top of my woodstove so I can steal free electricity from physics. Google that!

Here's another opinion:

This is one of those gray areas, in that it's hard to articulate, but you'll "know it when you see it" (when the title is and is not appropriate, that is). Flight crew hierarchy, and society in general, has become more relaxed over the years, and with it, the use of such titles.

However, it was quite obvious to me that to actually ask such a question on a annonymous forum such as Flight Info, could only have one outcome: annonymous ridicule. This came to mind as soon as I read your original question, and it didn't take long to come to fruition. You likened it to "tossing a softball," but instead of hitting it out of the park, the batters simply caught it, and then threw it back at your head as hard as they could. :)

Bubba

Here's another opinion:

This is one of those gray areas, in that it's hard to articulate, but you'll "know it when you see it" (when the title is and is not appropriate, that is). Flight crew hierarchy, and society in general, has become more relaxed over the years, and with it, the use of such titles.

However, it was quite obvious to me that to actually ask such a question on a annonymous forum such as Flight Info, could only have one outcome: annonymous ridicule. This came to mind as soon as I read your original question, and it didn't take long to come to fruition. You likened it to "tossing a softball," but instead of hitting it out of the park, the batters simply caught it, and then threw it back at your head as hard as they could. :)

Bubba

:D
If you build a high fence human nature is such that people will fight to get over it... In similar fashion, everyone is a king in their own kingdom, thus if you travel to foreign lands wearing your crown, someone is bound to knock it off... Especially on a web board for plots. :D

Whenever I'm in uniform, I find that just about all non-crew call me Captain, even though I've never been one. Even rampers.

Along the same lines-

When did each of you figure out the below things?:

* that very few know what you do
* that few really want to know
* that few will ever know, except glimpses that they'll immediately shove out of their mind
* that you could care less

Here's another opinion:

Bubba

Ok, I get it. If I post a light hearted topic on flightinfo then I can expect to get flamed by a few members. And then when I explain the scenario, then I can expect others to stand up for the first person flaming me, stating that I should expect the softball thrown back at my head as hard as they can.

Got it. Although, I am disappointed with some folks and their human nature ridicule.

My common sense screams just to ignore these few posts including yours. My other side wants to engage, and now you know my downfall...I don't listen to my common sense.

Ok, I get it. If I post a light hearted topic on flightinfo then I can expect to get flamed by a few members. And then when I explain the scenario, then I can expect others to stand up for the first person flaming me, stating that I should expect the softball thrown back at my head as hard as they can.

Got it. Although, I am disappointed with some folks and their human nature ridicule.

My common sense screams just to ignore these few posts including yours. My other side wants to engage, and now you know my downfall...I don't listen to my common sense.

Hey, I'm not ridiculing you, or even saying that it's not a legitimate question. I'm just saying that the responses received on an anonymous board were predictable. You know?

Bubba

Hey, I'm not ridiculing you, or even saying that it's not a legitimate question. I'm just saying that the responses received on an anonymous board were predictable. You know?

Bubba

Sorry...I took it the wrong way. I suppose its hard to judge simply by written words instead of all the other non verbal communications someone has face to face.

JB

I think road team truckers should be called Ground Captains. The senior driver in the team shall hold the additional title "Steering Wheel Commander" or, at social gatherings, "Supreme General of the Gas Pedal." The ranking driver must, at all times, wear their medals except when being awarded additional medals.

It used to be 1st pilot / 2nd pilot until Jaun Trippe decided to appropriate the nautical Captain, First, Second, Third Officer because he thought it was good marketing and it spread.

I always thought all the ALPA correspondence with "Captain This" to and from "Captain That" on it made us all look like idiots.

When I was an ALPA committee chair I actually had to fight to just send stuff out under my name and signature without "Captain" all over it.

The only guy at Brand X that introduces himself as "Captain ME" (and insists everybody call him this) is the director of training. It makes him sound like a tool and he is generally regarded as such.

My first boss was a retired USN 06 who had been pre-selected as a CAG before he took a seven year detour to the Hanoi Hilton.

We both have uniforms in our closets with four stripes on the sleeves but it's really not the same thing.

I still address him as "Captain" or "sir". He calls me by my first name.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back