What's Great Lakes up to?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Alaska,

If you think $18,000 is horrendous, check this out.

15.30 (1st year FO pay at Great Lakes)
X 75 (hourly guarantee)
X 12 (months)
----------------
= $13,770 gross wages annually

Granted, many GLA pilots fly above 75 hours a month.

Hey, I too was excited when I first started at GLA. But, I would not call flying for Great Lakes "living the dream". More like a nightmare.

Anyway, good luck to you.

Wow, that is horrible!

Are you still a FO? Or Capt? Whats Captain pay like?

Hi!

AA:

If you look at fly26's profile, he's now flying a CE-560XL, which is some type of bizjet (Citation) and not a plane that Lakes has.

He's probably flying for a fractional (NetJets or Flight Options probably) or possibly a company. I'm sure he was glad to get out of Great Lakes.

I met one guy from there that got hired by ACA. He was based at, I think, 6 different bases in less than a year. He said most of the married guys he knew there got divorced.

If you're single, and live with your parents, or with a bunch of other single pilots, it's probably OK if you can't find anything else.

Cliff
GRB

A former student of mine was called by Lakes within the last couple of days, wanting to know his availability for a class sometime late March or April?? For those of you that are interested!!

flying4food said:
A former student of mine was called by Lakes within the last couple of days, wanting to know his availability for a class sometime late March or April?? For those of you that are interested!!

Thanks for the info. Had he/she interviewed before? What about their current times.

- AZPilot

Has anybody else heard from Lakes?? Oh ya, did they indeed close their Chicago base, that was rumor a month or so ago??

fly26 said:
Alaska,

If you think $18,000 is horrendous, check this out.

15.30 (1st year FO pay at Great Lakes)
X 75 (hourly guarantee)
X 12 (months)
----------------
= $13,770 gross wages annually

One factor to add is Per Diem. Admittedly, most of it'll be burnt on food but it is to be considered. With such small numbers a little can mean a lot. Almost all of the March lines have at least 300 hours away from base, therefore:

1.00 (Per Diem rate)
X 300 (TAFB)
X 12 (months)
----------------
= $3,600 tax-free Per Diem annually

+ 3,600
-----------------
= $17370

ORD is no longer a crew-base, and with the death of ALO last Thursday, has but one outstation, OSH. It was still operating last week, dunno if the end has come.

Last edited:
Cardinlal, thanks for the post and kind comment!

Check you e-mail.

Hi!

There was an article on them in the latest "Aviation International News". They have a new CEO who's trying to turn things around there and make money for the 1st time in 3 years or so.

They wanted me to come in as a Capt off the street after not flying for 10 years. I didn't think that was very realistic and didn't come in for the interview.

It is a flying job, and they are hard to come by.

It I was a CFI, I would continue that until I got in at a better airline. I was at TSA last year, and they are a huge improvement over Great Lakes, in my opinion. THey take guys with similar time that Great Lakes wants.

Cliff
GRB

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back