Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

YaMama

Hey everybody,

What's the latest at FLX for hiring, class dates, etc? And how much interview prep would be wise? I've been out of flying for about 18 months now, but could probably swing a few hours in an Arrow, and obviously some sim time/study time - depending how much patience they would have for an out-of-currency fool like myself.

Btw, I'm an 1800 hour CFI.

Send'em your resume.

From what I understand they are hiring like hotcakes, submit your resume online (www.flightexpress.com). Gary Hilyer will most likely call within the hour, you can ask him those questions then.

Last edited:
One wag on FI once said "If you can fog a mirror, you can pass FLX training". I'm not sure it's that easy, but I didn't think that the groundschool was terribly difficult. It's not studying for an FAA written, but it's not astronaught training either. Austin definitely knows his stuff, but he doesn't go out of his way to make it hard on you. That said, it seems like they're having about a 50% pass rate lately. This may be due to the cattle call approach to hiring. Basically, call Gary (Recruiter, defacto assistant DO), if you have the times and you don't go out of your way to show that you're a jerk on the phone, you'll be given a date to show up for training.

The 210 is a nice flying airplane, and I don't think they're doing the sim anymore, so I would concentrate on being ready for groundschool. Download all of Austin's "very easy guides" (see link above). I had the most trouble with 135 duty/flight time limitations and the 135 departure/alternate mins. YMMV.

As far as the job, it's good, if you know what you're getting in to. If it's legal, you're going. If you want to make "a lot" of money (~35k, before taxes), you're going to be at work a lot. You'll get used to sleeping in recliners. On the long runs, it's basically get up, go to work, come home, eat, sleep, repeat. Getting days off is extremely tough. If you plan on having a long run, you might want to to renew your medical, register your car, get your driver's license renewed, etc etc BEFORE you show up for training.

All of that aside, the company treats you well. There's no pushing to fly with broken airplanes, and if the weather really is too bad to go, you won't get pushed there either. If you show up for work and do a decent job, the DO will try to accomodate you as much as is possible. There's definitely nothing shady or underhanded about the operation. Just a lot of work, but a lot of fun, too.

In my class, one guy washed himself out because he basically seemed to be trying to get on as a part time second job. He was always leaving early to pick up his kids, didn't seem to have time to study the materials, etc. Nice guy, but just didn't seem to have the time for the training. Two other guys washed out because they couldn't speak english well enough. They got through the ground portion fine, but when they got in the airplane they apparently had trouble reading (or comprehending?) clearances. They were both also good pilots and nice guys.

I've heard stories from other classes about washouts. Mostly they seem to be the "insufficiently motivated" types, but I've heard of maybe one or two guys who just couldn't fly the airplane. They say, and I think correctly so, that if you can pass a commercial instrument checkride, you can pass the 135 checkride.

As far as not having flown for a while, I hadn't flown for about 2 years before my groundschool. My Part 135 PIC ride was also my BFR and IPC. In retrospect, I would probably go back and get a few hours in something (anything IFR) before going, because I think I really pushed my luck. That said, Austin or Matt (the chief pilot, who also gives checkrides) will do their legal best to give you slack if you don't give them an obvious and glaring reason to fail you.

They make it sound extremely intimidating when you first show up. This is to make sure you take it seriously. If you do take it seriously and actually study, you'll be fine.

Incidently, for posterity in case anyone is interested, I got the call for Baron upgrade within 3 days of my one year anniversary. Rumor has it this may be coming down slightly, to maybe around 8-10 months. Probably won't be back to 6 months anytime soon, though.

Last edited:
Bases and moving on

Hello,
I have a few Question for someone currently flying at FE. I have also thought of apply their, I have the hours, but I have not been fying all that much in the last year. I am looking for a good place to work, and have read many good things about FE.
What bases seem to come open most offen? Why do they come open? Pilots that are moving on where do they go?
Appreciate the information
dr

It's pretty much a crapshoot with which bases come open. The only reliable thing I can tell you is it's generally harder to get Florida than other places. My *impression* is that some of the one or two plane bases come open most often. Places like Little Rock and Jackson. Presumably they come open because no one wants to be there. I can personally verify that the entire city of Jackson, MS is in the wrong part of town, for example.

In my class, one guy went to Cinci (which has since shrunk, and he got displaced to Orlando, I think). One guy got Jacksonville, FL, and I got Jackson, MS. I got Jackson because I scored lowest on the final written of all the guys who made it through training. You should consider this on those nights when you really want to watch HBO instead of studying for the written stuff. All that said, the movement in this company is such that you're likely to be able to get any base you want within 3-6 months, and probably more like 1-2.

People seeem to go to all sorts of places. CHQ, Commutair, Mesa, Part 91 citation job, part 135 lear job, part 135 421 job, aerial mapping in a Conquest, flying cargo in a caravan. Those are just the ones I remember personally. There are a lot of FLX alums on this system...do a search for threads and you'll likely see what a lot of people are doing 5 years down the road.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Good thread. Don't forget about Ram Air. They tend have a quicker upgrade to multi (hear say.) They start you in a Lance and supposedly have you in a 402 in 6 to 8 months. Also, they are a M-F operation. Weekends off. 2nd year pay is supposed to be good. Anyone have details on getting in a Mountain Air Cargo Caravan? I hear they are a good company.

FLX shuts down on the weekend too. I think Ram upgrades even faster than that. I've heard a month or two for the twin? On the other hand, their daily pay is $85. If you don't care too much about "having a life", you can make $140 at FLX. Ameriflight and Airnet pay more than Ram, but less than FLX, I think, and have an immediate twin position. Food for thought.

I will say this, though. I've heard a lot of horror stories about management at 135 operators, and I have nothing substantively negative to say about FLX's higher-ups. I've been treated well, and there have been no surprises.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back