Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What's better, bad corporate job or fractional?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
dsptchrNJA:

I'm actually more surprised that 150 pilots have actually been here more than 10 years!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do tell???

rajflyboy said:
out of the 500 or so only about 100 have been at netjets more than 10 years.

Most bail out for one reason or another. You don't see people staying here like you would at American, Delta, United, UPS, Fedex

do you have the stats on turnover rates for the past ten years at these cos.?
I am not being argumentative, I am just wondering if these hr depts have released turnover rates counting and not counting firings and furloughs.

Ummm... i'm seeing people leave United like the plague - many of them are coming to NJA.

First of all, they are furloughed. Perhaps you've heard of it.

Second, they come to NJA because its been the ONLY game in town. As soon as Home Depot calls for a cashier position they leave.

No average pilot would ever leave a job at any of those 5 companies unless it has to do with a furlough, loss of medical or possibly a family issue. I couldn't see any other reason to leave.

cjdriver said:
For those of you who have done both, which is better, a corporate job (one with no time off, on call 24/7), or a fractional?
I don't think there IS a worse job than a really bad corporate job.

gern_blanston said:
I don't think there IS a worse job than a really bad corporate job.

Having done both, and knowing quite a few on both side of the fence, I can honestly say that the average corporate job is better than the average fractional.

Negatives of corporate:

1. You are employed at the "whim" of your employer and if the company downsizes - you could lose your job. Then again - if you think that a fractional is 100% safe - you are kidding yourself!! If the NetJets pilots went on strike - there is a chance that the company would eventually close doors. FlexJet has furloughed (or laid off) before, and people have been terminated at fractionals for various reasons.

2. At most corporations you do not have a set schedule - but you generally end up working less days than your fractional brothers anyways.

Positives

1. Pay is generally much higher.

2. You usually work way less.

3. You know who you fly and learn their likes and dislikes which makes your job WAY easier.

4. At some corporations: Great hotels, rental cars, expense accounts time to actually see places (no 10 hr rest and then you go again), legal time to have a beer if you feel like it etc.

I am not saying that all corporate jobs are better than all fractional - but unless I had VERY high (top 10%) seniority at a fractional - I would be looking for a sweet corporate gig.

rajflyboy said:
No average pilot would ever leave a job at any of those 5 companies unless it has to do with a furlough, loss of medical or possibly a family issue. I couldn't see any other reason to leave.

There have been pilots that left UPS for FedEx.

Leave UPS for Fedex

That sounds like a move from one good place to another especially if you live in Memphis

Latest resources

Back