• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Whats all this BS about the BS degree?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you are going to get a two year degree, get it with the intention of going to a four year school to finish. A guy I work with got an associates in computer information systems, and now he is going back to get his bachelors in computer science. He is haveing to take all of the remedial classes (i.e. history, calculus, etc...) because they weren't a part of his associates degree. My point is to keep the option to finish up your bachelors if at all possible.

tazman said:

Lastly...enigma -- doctoral candidates write dissertations, not a thesis; a thesis is written at the masters level.

congratulations, I are now edukated and you can consider yurself a grammer Natsi.

:)

Chawebein offers good advice. I would strongly suggest you take a variety of courses and focus on general ed. classes--maths, sciences, language, etc. This way you will learn about a variety of subjects and you also may find something else that interests you. If and when you go to transfer to a four-year school you will be better off, also.

College isn't about just memorizing books. It's completely different than high school. Book work is only half of it. College classes do not consist of teachers reading books as did high school classes. In most of my classes, we are lectured on the things that one can't learn from a book. If college consisted of merely reading and memorizing books there would be no professors; only proctors.

Like the military person said, there is a significant difference in the intelligence levels of people who attended college and those who did not. Keep in mind this is a generalization so don't get offended. I'm sure there are some "smart" people who didn't go to college but they are rare.

No, going to college does not automatically turn a dumb person into a smart person (although it would if he/she works very hard to change it). The fact is that smarter people are the ones to make the decision to go to college, and the less smart people are the ones to decide to not go to college.

Keep it mind this is 2002 and I say this because I've seen it myself. This may not be true for those of you in their upper 30s, or in their 40s, or older, because not as many people went to college back then, so I'm not trying to offend anyone. I'm just telling how it is right now. You don't see a person get As and Bs and have good SAT scores and then not go to college. They always do. You also don't see people who get straight Ds go to college, either. They usually don't. (Don't turn this into a debate of "test scores/grades don't matter," as that's not the issue).

Last edited:
Thank you all for the info and advice! One more quick question. Anyone here taken any distance learning courses(internet), or know someone who has? Opinions? Reason being -- Full time pilot, got into the profession young to hopefully "get ahead oif the game." I can't imagine pulling out of it to go to a full-time, sit in class school right now. It would make all of the hard work to get this far, this early, seem pointless. Advice again? Thanks all.
Freightdog75

As a reply for dmspilot00 -- I never took SAT's. Took the ACT, and scored a 29. Graduated high school with a 3.19 Cummulative and 3.75 for senior year. School work is not the problem, money is. No attitude intended if it read that way.

I am a commuter student so I usually take one or two distance learning classes from the school I am attending per semester. You definitely have to be disciplined and it's easy to get way, way behind. Most of my classes involved essays and answering essay questions as the primary grading criteria. There is TONS of writing, so keep this in mind if you don't like to write. However it may be different from other schools.

As far as paying for it: Unless you are using the cost as an excuse because you just don't want to go (or feel you are smart enough without it), my comments aren't directed at you :). Please do look into loans if you can't pay out of pocket because interest rates are very low.

I was just using SATs as an example of how good students go to college (or, WANT to at least) and bad one's don't want to. My hostilities are mostly directed to the individual(s) who think they are "too smart" to go to college, because I feel strongly about this topic. It still baffles me that someone can be so arrogant as to say they are smart enough without college. Isn't it interesting, then, that the smarter you are the MORE likely it is you will attend college? It's not the other way around!

Last edited:
freight dog

Two things,
One it just occurred to me, dmspilot is a college student. That explains everything. Dms, how old are you? If you haven't had a job, don't pay for college out of money you've made from work and think college itself give you standing in any area, you have a lot to learn. Please respond honestly, Job? Money? Work? Age?
Two, yeah fr8t Dog I am actually taking classes online right now. The most important thing is the accreditation. The school I am going to is accredited to be accepted by all Colorado schools. It is CCCOnline. www.ccconline.org
I am 34 and think online learning is great. I went to embry riddle when I was 19 and ran out of money. You gave some good reasons for going online, I'll add one. There really aren't too many things more annoying than young punks with almost no experience at anything acting all pumped up on themselves because they read a book.
Education absent experience may not be the most worthless thing in the world but it is **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** close .

Distance Learning

There are some great distance learning prgrams out there. I have never taken any of them though. Embry Riddle has a pretty extensive distance learning program. If you will go back a few issues of AOPA Flight training magazine you will find some information about it.

The text discussed how useful the learning program was for people already employed.

Personally I have no clue how these distance learning programs work. I understand that they are great. Can some of you who have taken them give me some details about them?

Enjoy,
J.

College was not an option for me, financially, right after high school. Neither was flight training. I enlisted in the Marine Corps. The G.I. Bill paid for 2 years of college (night school) and G.I Flight Training benefits paid for about $10,000 of the $15,000 total for all my ratings (training was a little cheaper in the mid 80's). I worked as an CFI in my free time my last 2 years in the service. That route was tough, but it is possible for those that can't afford college. So that option is available.

I have been working toward completing my Bachelor's at ERAU via distance learning. It is expensive, make no mistake, but the course work is good, the instructors that I have had are top notch. I a married, raising kids and have a full time flying job. It is not easy to maintain the discipline to study with such a full plate, but once again it is possible.

If you are on the fence, take it from me, it is WELL worth the effort. I only have 18 units left, and finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and it feels great. If you are interested in talking to a counselor at ERAU, PM and I will give the gals name who has been helping me for the last 18 months. No pressure, and very helpfull, it may be all you need to get the ball rolling.

As for TIMP, the b00b that started the whole officer/enlisted thing. I am neither jealous, nor pissed, at officers. I got along great with them both as an enlisted NCO in the command structure, and acting as their CFI at Kadena Air Base (they were the only ones who could afford flying lessons even at Aero Club rates). I just don't like elitest snobs, enlisted or commissioned, that's all. I would expect an educated man such as you, to easily comprehend the difference. Savvy?

As for intelligence, I don't feel a lick smarter than I did before I got my schooling under my belt. That is not to say I didn't learn anything, I learned a lot, but nothing that would have changed who I am, or with whom I could hold an intelligent conversation. I feel a great sense of pride in what I have forced myself to accomplish, but that has to do with nearly completing a goal I set for myself, not something a professor taught me.

As the old saying goes: "Everything you really need to know in life, you should have learned in kindergarden".

P.S.

TIMP,

If God is an Irish-Catholic, you'll never be on a major's hiring board the day I show up. I can't imagine you would extend an invitation to the garden party to someone of my pedigree.;)

Last edited:
Howdy!

I no longer recommend ERAU's distance program. Supposedly they went online and changed their courses over to that format.

No, they took their distance programs, added an online discussion forum, but their videos are a camera focused on a professor sitting at a desk for hours of droning on and on and on. . . The "neat-o whiz bang" powerpoint presentations are slapped together in a black and white poorly copied course book that you get to receive for an extra $40-100. Most of the undergraduate courses lack the videos. I've not enjoyed the "Riddle Runaround" in most every facet, most likely due to the fact the staff thinks we won't show up on their doorstep and get answers to such questions as when are tuition payments due, why am I double-billed for a class, what books are required, and so on.

UNO's Online Aviation Institute is online learning done right. Their online classes are considered the same as if you attended classes in person. The number of students in each class is quite small. The tuition is at the in-state resident rate, no matter where you live. Financial aid is also at the in-state, off-campus rate. IOW, have the government pay interest for the student loans while attending classes. Having access to the instructors during their office hours made the difference in two of my courses there. Being able to correspond within a matter of days instead of weeks allowed questions to be answered before missing a deadline on a homework assignment. Another plus is the courses are a full semester's length long. This allows time to complete assignments while working full or "normal ~80 hours" time. www.unomaha.edu/~unoai

Bakersfield College and most of the other community colleges in CA offer online courses. The rate? $11 per credit hour. Avoid Cerro Coso College as their class sizes are much too large and overwhelm the instructors.www.cvu.com

HTH,
Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Latest resources

Back