Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: Degree

JBHewlett said:
I mean, seriously, this conversation has gotten very harsh. Degrading people because they have a lack of education is just wrong, and extremely un-called for. There is no room for that kind of behavior. Lack of education is NOT the same as lack of intelligence.

As I said before, I degraded no one on the basis of their lack of education. It's their attitudes--the attitude of "I didn't go to college but I am still smarter than everyone else and it's a worthless waste of time anyway because I don't need it and I don't want it." It is not fair, and downright offensive to those of us who actually took four years out of our life to go to school.

JBHewlett said:
Someone in here said something like "Anyone who chooses not to go to college is ignorant". That is just wrong. Really wrong. Don't ever say that. There are some people out there who can't afford to go to college.

You are putting words in my mouth, here. That's not what I said and it's not fair to accuse me of saying that. What I did say, however, is that people who are more intelligent realize that going to college is the right thing to do, both for personal growth and career growth.

I don't believe you people (e.g. rumpletumbler), saying you are too intelligent to go to college, and that people who go to college are incapable of learning on their own. Interesting. It seems you are missing something. THE PURPOSE OF COLLEGE IS NOT TO MAKE THE DUMB PEOPLE SMART!! DUH!!!! YOU ARE TELLING ME THAT COLLEGE IS ONLY FOR "DUMB" PEOPLE BECAUSE THEY ARE TOO DUMB TO LEARN ON THEIR OWN? GIVE ME A BREAK--PURE STUPIDITY!

(Edit: Just as surplus will point out, I am not saying that everyone who has a degree is smart. It's what you make of it, and if you were smart, you would try honestly to make something of it!)

As far as not being able to afford it--absurd!! Most people can't afford to NOT go to college. Sure, a person may not be able to afford his or her dream school, but that is different. No one said you had to pay cash to go to school, either. There is MORE than enough grant and loan money to cover the average schools, and with especially today's interest rates, it would be silly to say you can't afford it. The interest rate on my college loans is 4.75%!

When it comes to English, there's a difference between making a grammar error and not being able to communicate clearly and confusing everyone. The latter is the most important thing. A grammer error here and there is fine for an internet forum. However if you have those kinds of errors all over the place then the grammer problem becomes a communication problem.

Last edited:
As for the Aviation Degree thing. Maybe it's just me but I haven't seen a UND educated pilot yet that has even come close to impressing me. Be it with flying skills or knowlage, and I've flown with hundereds.
I will say though that those with that degree or any for that matter will get he job before the guy without it. Get a degree, have something to fall back on. What if you accuire a heart murmer sometime down the road?

Jboss said:
Don't shift tense in the middle of a sentance. And don't go to college if you don't want to. It is a great experience, though, so think about it.

By the way, were you home schooled?

Now you're confusing me, Jboss. I thought you were correcting the man's grammer, then you turn around and insinuate that he may have received an education better than what is offered by public schools.

TIMP said:
Slide33,

"I'm amazed that this TIMP guy didn't get his @$$ frag'd."

Spoken like a true "box of rocks!" Your comment demonstrates EXACTLY why enlisted soldiers get a bad rap. If the situation doesn't agree with them the first thing they will do is bad mouth the closest officer and want to frag him. An education would serve you well. I suggest you get one ASAP!

I gave you the opportunity to edit your initial condescending post, but you chose not to. Now you open your lips and insert your hoof between them again.

You reacted pretty strongly to the frag remark...what's the matter, too close to home? Heard that before, have you? Leadership isn't exclusive to the officer corps, and rank garners no instant respect. Respect is earned. With your attitude, I doubt you earned much.

I feel quite strong on this topic, as I've run into your type before.

Chunk

To TIMP: Having a college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane competently and safely. Having flown with hundreds of pilots over the years with all sorts of educational backgrounds, I'm convinced of this fact. Unfortunately, the people who make the hiring descisions at a lot of airlines are ex-military pilots and they bring this attitude with them. By the way, since you have to be an officer(hence a 4 year degree)to fly in the Air Force, Navy and Marines, these same people have never flown with anyone else!

Also incredibly, If you've earned an A&P degree in lieu of a Bachelor's degree, it doesn't matter. It's not good enough.

You are all a bunch of numb-nuts, it's GRAMMAR not GRAMMER. It's funny to read posts from several people arguing about who is smarter and none of them can spell correctly. I will give the benefit of the doubt though seeing as how this is an informal environment and spelling EFFECTIVELY i.e. phonetically is enough.

I too hate "Grammar Nazis", and I hated to make this post. However, I thought it was exceptionally ironic to make mispellings and grammatical errors when trying to convince someone else that an education or lack thereof is a mark of intelligence.

Have a nice day.:)

Interesting thread. I respectfully submit there is a difference between being schooled and being educated. A certain amount of both serves one well in life. The former fulfills application requirements and is necessary. The latter determines who you are and will become.

Intellect is not a product of schooling but is developed because of it. However, the finest intellect remains effectively unused without education.

The schooling required to earn a degree may well be wasted if one chooses not to become educated in the process; something easily done.

Good luck to all.

I wish I had a nickle for every time some educated young officer came crying to me, "Top, what do I do now?".

Having said that, get the dang degree. An HR rep has 42 million resumes on his desk and is just itching to toss a few into the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**can. Guess which ones will be the first to go?

Wow! So much debate and so much rancor. Weighing in on this debate is interesting because I am not in commercial aviation but just a lowly (just started) private pilot student. However, after reading through the three pages of this thread, I can't resist!

On the employer's side: if you've ever been a hiring manager and have narrowed your applicants down to two equally qualified persons, one with degree and one sans degree, who would you hire? Someone in the thread indicated that a degree demonstrated the ability to focus and exhibit self-discipline over four years. I couldn't agree more.

Another young lady indicated she couldn't afford to earn a bachelor's degree because of cost. My suggestion is to apply to a private school -- this is because private schools on average give out much more aid than public schools that are already subsidizing tuition through their respective legislators. My own personal story on earning my B.A. is four schools (yes, an enlisted puke) and 7.5 years of going at night, weekends, whenever. My masters was easier -- 6 years, one school.

On education = bachelors degree = intelligence... If a school graduates a person without educating them, the academy has failed. This generally is apparent in accredited versus non-accredited schools. Those schools that are accredited have demonstrated that in the vast majority of cases degree = some level of education. This is not to imply that one doesn't gain meaningful experience outside of a college classroom. Rather, the intent is that someone with a bachelor's degree is 'educated' to some degree. Ditto for those with associates or high school diplomas. They have all been educated, just to a different level!

Lastly...enigma -- doctoral candidates write dissertations, not a thesis; a thesis is written at the masters level.

ok ok Dmspilot00

I got the picture. I must have misunderstood, somewhere what you said, and I sincerely apologize. I hate accusing anyone of something they didn't do; it just makes me look bad.

However the point I am trying to make here is that we should all keep an open mind. Others may have their reasons why they didn't go to college, and they shouldn't be brought down because of it. I do agree with your point about people saying that they are smarter then everyone else when they haven't gone to college. Thats arrogant. I am not a big fan of arrogance. However that in no way means that they are less smart. Maybe we shouldn’t talk about how smart we are. Maybe we should let others talk about how smart we are. Trust me there wouldn't be as many fights that way.

NOW, that being said, I noticed that you are college student. That’s great; I wish the best of luck with your chosen field of study.

Have a great one,
J.

Latest resources

Back