Whats Aa Gonna Do?????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Cobraair75drvr

I am surprised this has not been discussed more. AA cannot stand not being the largest in the world, much less soon to be #3(once ual/cal merge). Not only will they be all but locked out of the Pacific(except codeshare) they don't/won't have the european presence that dal and cal have. They are going to have to go after someone. But who is left? Alaska(nice fit but does not add much), Usair(a real mess at the moment and does not fill any needs except domestic market share)Anyway, fire away...

Actually, it was Don Carty who couldn't stand to not be the largest. Aarpy doesn't seem to have as big an ego.

I think AA is going to have two dance partners, British Airways and Iberia. They are just waiting for the globalization legislation to get smoothed out!

I stilll think it leaves them at a disadvantage to the new DAL and the soon to be new ual/cal combo. You throw in AF/KLM with DAl and lufti with ual/cal and they are still a distant 3rd.

I think AA is going to have two dance partners, British Airways and Iberia. They are just waiting for the globalization legislation to get smoothed out!

AA is perfectly content being a follower these days. Arpey is more worried about shrinking to profitability than growing. That said, the whole IB/BA thing is probably what they're setting their sights on.

Regarding Europe/Pacific presence, don't count them out yet. 18 reconfigured 757s starting next year = a lot of new European routes to better compete w/ DAL and CAL. The Pacific will also grow eventually when we start getting more widebodies in a few years.

One thing I DON'T see is a merger with anybody anytime soon.

AA Europe cities: LHR, MAN, DUB, CDG, BRU, ZRH, FRA, DME, MAD, BCN, MXP, FCO. Future service in the next year or two will probably be Nice, Lyon, AMS and a new German city.

Last edited:
Let's see if the APA can bring this industry back from the dead, and get all the good folks a nice raise with some QOL thrown in. After that, we should consider a dance partner...but only after ALL the furloughees are back.

Look at Boeing for motivation during contract negos. It may sting for a while, but in the end, it is all worth it!!!!!!

The industry is hanging in the balnce on this one, don't let us down APA!!!!!

So you can have three airlines with no real Asian footprint combine?

I think AA codesharing with CX is enough of a footprint in China. I'm not convinced China will continue to be an economic powerhouse. The Olympic effect is over.

Latest resources

Back